The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe is almost 2 years old, this is her first freshening. WE brought her in early this morning when we noticed she was isolating herself from herd. Her ligaments are squishy. She's in pain and having contractions and it's been this way for about 8 hours. My other goats had mucusy secretions during labor, but this doe doesn't. Shouldn't she be mucusy? IS something going wrong?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
What are her labor signs? Is she pawing at the ground..laying down and getting back up. Restless? Stretching, fake yawn like action? Any pushing?
She maybe in early labor,, setting kids up but you can scrub up and use two fingers to go in and feel if any kids are in the birth canal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The doe, Rosie, had a few strings of mucus after about an hour. However, I had called the vet earlier when I wasn't seeing any mucus, luckily for her. I tried to cancel the visit (mucus in my book means everything is working and births are coming) but he was more alarmed than I was given the time span that had elapsed. Vet persisted in checking her out, and without ceremony he brought the kids out (there were 3).

As it turned out, they were all turned around and the third one, which was dead, had its head back. The vet had to manipulate all of them for them to get born but she couldn't have had that third baby. The good news is, the first two are very strong and were on their feet quickly. I was impressed by that vet clearing their lungs (swinging them around isn't my first instinct of what to do) and rubbing them into life.

I'm still new to kidding and always will be somewhat clueless, I fear, since Spanish goats give birth without much fuss. It's terror!

Anyway, the moral of the story is trust your gut when you think somethings wrong. And it doesn't hurt to have an experienced vet who comes in a terrible thunderstorm despite the human saying "I think its ok".

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
Sounds like you have a good vet, you’re lucky! I’m sorry one of the kids passed but it’s fantastic that the two survived. I hope your doe isn’t too sore and heals well after a traumatic birth.
Did the vet recommend antibiotics for her and banamine? Watch her temp for signs of infection.
i can’t wait to see kid pictures 😃

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
Glad it all turned out!! Sounds like a keeper vet!! Don't be afraid to post baby pix 😁

·
8,371 Posts
If she is really swollen after all that intrusion- Gently wash her back end then pat dry and put a bunch of Preparation H
hemorrhoid ointment on her. It really does sooth them and shrink all those swollen areas.
Congratulations on the 2 kids and so sorry one didn't make it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All your replies are MUCH appreciated. I did ask for banamine and antibiotics but I know she's in pain still. Will try the hemorrhoid cream, thanks! This doe is the sweetest girl and I'll be worried about her until she's back to her old normal, gluttonous self.

Her babies look like their sire, who is a Spanish goat, Syfan bloodline. The little doe has a unibrow!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
Beautiful babies

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The mama seems to prefer one baby over another. I have seen her allow the little buck to nurse but the mama dotes on her daughter. My tendency is to overmanage so I haven't stepped in but I make sure I see him nurse everyday. I certainly wish she was an equal opportunity mother but maybe her difficult birth makes her a bit uncertain about the boy. At least it's not outright rejection, and being a week old, I guess the boy is getting enough milk. It's a fly in the ointment, though.

·
Super Moderator
59,648 Posts
I would be weighing him daily with a scale that weighs in pounds and ounces or pounds and tenths of pounds. He may not be getting enough.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts