The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am very new to this forum and new to goats as well. I do have a mentor and have recently bought and read a couple informative books on the care of goats.

I am acquiring a bred doe from a local farmer, she will live with a turning one year old doeling, purchased from the same farmer. The person who will be keeping my doe had goats for 25 years and got out of goats for the past 8, just keeping one as a pet. That goat recently died at the age 14. We decided to get two for practical use again, milk, meat, and for our purposes education.

My doe was running with both a Boer and an Alpine buck for the past couple months. The due date is not known for sure, but she will be checked out when she arrives. My biggest concern is diet. The farmer mentioned that she might have foundered over the summer. She appeared sound when we went and looked at her.

I am predominantly a horse person, and the person helping me never had a problem with founder with goats. The information I know on founder is obtained through ponies, and one cause is a diet too rich in protein/grain/etc. Horses are grazers and goats are browsers, does it affect them the same way? Currently my goat is not getting grain from her owner. But as she is approaching probably a month or two from kidding, should she get grain? When she is milking? It seems most publications and information talks about healthy normal goats and how much concentrates they should be getting, versus milk production and I understand that.

But...does it change with this situation? What do you feed a goat who possibly foundered? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Arborgoats...lol you have answered your own questions!! yes they can get founder like fat ponies and yes their hooves can slough away!! Yes she should be started on grain now and increased after she kids to keep up with milk.Beet pulp feeds are good for founder in goats and yes hay hay and more hay .BUT!! remember go slowly with the grain building up to a moderate amount when she kids and lactates.If she is very fat and her front legs have swollen start giving her 30 ml of Glycerine a day till she kids and even after could be neccasary.I do this with some of my Toggenburgs who are prone to preg tox.Teejae

·
I'm watching you
22,202 Posts
Unlike most ponies, goats can recover completely from a mild to moderate founder. As long as the coffin bones have not turned, they can become completely sound again. If the coffin bones have turned you will be able to tell as they throw their legs up and out, like a weighted hackney prancing, and land on their heels. A moderately foundered goat's hooves will grow very fast and will need trimmed more often, they usually do eventually come out of this type of founder.
Knowing that she may have this problem, what you want to limit is sugar and starch. Alfalfa is fine as is beet pulp. Limited amounts of low starch grains such rolled oats and/or barley should be okay. Never any corn, high mollasses sweet feeds/goat pellets, etc.
Free choice loose minerals should also be watched for mollasses content. They should be available 24/7 though.

Goats do not "grass founder" like ponies so, pasture and browse is not normally a problem.

·
I'm watching you
22,202 Posts
I mix mine dry so, I'm no help there. I mix 2 parts alfalfa pellets with 1 part beet pulp pellets and feed free choice during the winter months. They each seem to eat aroung 11/2 to 2 lbs. each. Working that out it would be 1/2 to 3/4lb dry weight.

·
Registered
448 Posts
when I was feeding it to my herd(I dont now because its very expensive here) I would just put a few handfulls in and then add the water and molassas or Stock Gain to give a bit of flavor otherwise they wouldnt eat it!!
Now I feed whole barley that I boil up and add to lucerne chaff,minerals and a splop of Veg oil or Stockgain.I find goats will do well on horse feeds.Mine refuse the pelletts and prefer the Barley mix.Soy beans or meal are also a good protien feed but be carful with foundering and high protien feeds.Ours also arnt to fussed on high mollassed feeds,they are such princesses :rolleyes: The other thing they have is a mineral salt lick or mineral block.Anything horses have is safe for goats everything in moderation,Teejae

1 - 9 of 9 Posts