Goat DIYs and Hacks for YouTube video

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by CottonwoodBoerGoats, Aug 12, 2020.

1. CottonwoodBoerGoats

CottonwoodBoerGoats Active Member

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW
    Hello!
    I’m making a YouTube video testing and rating goat DIY and hacks. I’m looking for super small 5 minute craft kinds of things. If you could help, that’d be great!

Goataddict and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Hmm I’ll have to think!!

PVC pipe mineral feeders?

Roofing shingles on platforms or cement blocks to file hooves?

One of those cool slings to trim hooves from!! I have a friend who made one DIY.

I have a recipe for a homemade salve and homemade goat treats that are fun - that’s DIY, check out my blog!! They are on my YouTube as well.

I’ve always wondered about that hack to use excess baling twine to saw through twine on bales instead of a scissors!!

I use the bottom of the largest size plastic dog kennel as a litter box, works great, kind of a hack!!

I’d test how well a pooper-scooper can pick up goat berries, that’ll be hilarious all around!!

DIY goat popsicles are fun and a good way to increase water intake on a hot day. Watermelon is fun, to freeze!!

Pallet platforms.

Those cable spools, transforming them into a playground, very fun!!

I don’t know if any of these are what you’re looking for but I’m just randomly coming up with some things!!

Iluvlilly! and Goataddict like this.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I didnt know you had a youtube! What is it?
    @CottonwoodBoerGoats whats your youtube?

I use that all the time! It works!

Goataddict likes this.
  4. CottonwoodBoerGoats

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  5. CottonwoodBoerGoats

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW
    Can i have permission to use your labels etc for the salve? I can mention that it belongs to you. Thanks, I just want be sure.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  6. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    You could try diy fly spray and diy goat treats. I’ve also made udder butter and udder wash from recipes on the internet.

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I have wanted to make a youtube for a while, but im 14 and i feel like people wouldnt take me seriously because i am a teenager and "i didnt know what i was talking about" So i am very excited to see yours! tell me when you post your first video and i will go watch and subscribe!!

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yes of course, I put the labels in my blog post so people can do just that.

CottonwoodBoerGoats likes this.
  9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Oh I don’t really use it much it’s just a place for me to store videos that I then link to my blog - i.e. recipes. I don’t have the time to make a full-fledged channel on top of all my blog and mentorships - but we DO need more KNOWLEDGEABLE goat youtubers out there!!

Seriously. I did a sweep on YouTube to find good ones. Nothing. So then I started looking for the bad ones lol: I searched “our goat is sick” is a title..... oh boy, the amount of homesteader accounts that had these titled videos, and then watching, seeing incorrect diagnosis, incorrect treatment, and I didn’t even have a way to contact these people because god knows a YouTube comment is hardly seen or taken seriously. I almost broke down crying seeing this misinformation. A goat that was acting “sleepy” and had no “appetite” was ruled as bloat?! She did survive, thankfully. I saw one, this is what really got to me, a goat with the most severe copper and zinc deficiencies I’ve ever seen, NO hair, scaly skin, skinny. Awful. I actually tracked the YouTuber down on instagram and offered to help. I know it’s hit or miss - whether or not someone curses you out for trying to help, LOL, but I did it anyway. Luckily she was very kind and took all of my recommendations!!

Anyway, my YouTube channel is called The Giving Goat. May be tough to find as it’s small!! :);)

10. CottonwoodBoerGoats

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW
    Same, I’m around your age as well. I mostly want to do showing and and just random videos that include goats simply because I feel like people won’t listen to a teenager about worming and diet changes etc.

11. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Hey, if your videos are well made and edited, there's no reason why people wouldn't watch you. I think sometimes younger people's videos don't get views because kids have a tendency to have unprofessional videos. A 7 year old kid earned 22 million dollars from his toy review channel in 2018. Parents help put it together, but still.

By the way I had no idea either of you were that young. You both seem way older. I just had no clue.

12. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    me and my mom are the ones who come on here. My mom just looks and sometimes she will type stuff, like on the corona virus thread, because she doesnt know much about goats (she can barley milk HAHA!) and i usually give the info.
    I have alot of people in town that i help, mostly market 4-H kids, but usually they dont like to take my advise,(especially when i say give garlic) but when something goes wrong, im the first one they call:shrug: The kids seem to take my advise, but the parents are always kind of rude, saying i don't know what i'm talking about, but then they call me at least once a month for advise, or when they need help hoof clipping, or shearing. i just kinda put up with it, even if i wanna yell at the top of my lungs!

13. CottonwoodBoerGoats

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW
    adults have more experience than kids/ teenagers but we learn From them. That’s why I’m on the goat spot! I’ve gotten a lot of info off here!

14. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Yes!:up: But the ones i am helping have never dealt with a goat in their life, and assume its just like a cow or lamb... one person thought goats couldnt have copper! I am not saying they dont know how to take care of animals, just they dont realize goats are different!

15. CottonwoodBoerGoats

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW
    That’s a pet peeve of mine! Especially at the fair when people come up to me and compliment my “sheep” I do my best to educate the people about how goats don’t eat tin cans and how they are extremely smart, etc.

Nigerian dwarf goat and Ashlynn like this.
  16. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    toth boer goats likes this.
  17. CottonwoodBoerGoats

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW
    Not yet, I went on a trip. I’m working on it, I’ll let you know when I do though!

18. Steve89

Steve89 New Member

Aug 31, 2020
    Northern NSW
    First craft I was taught as a child when we got goats was plaiting the excess bailing twine for goat collars for polled goats so you can handle them.

Bunches of videos on you tube creating goat play items (half buried old tyres and cable drums).
    could look into different herbal insecticides, cant remember where but someone was stuffing pyrethrum or similar plants into a moist cloth roll for animals to rub against.
    Goat head scratching stations too - stiff bristle brushes affixed to their sleeping quarters
    DIY goat shelters

In the not craft section - information to understand goats? (easily digested in the generic 'top 5 facts' or 'things you dont know about goats'