Goat DNA Testing?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kelebek, Jan 1, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Has anyone used the goat DNA testing through ADGA or UC davis (ADGA uses UCDavis - just cheaper to go through ADGA)

Because of the uncertainty of Trinity's kids, I am thinking about doing it once they are born - what do you all think.

I saw Joe Dirt breed her on a Sunday, and then on Monday, Blue broke through - so there is ALWAYS a chance. If Joe ment so much to you and you really wanted to keep some of Joe's kids, would you be willing to pay the $40.00 a kid to have them tested to be certain??

Thanks

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would definately be willing to pay the $40 to get them tested, but don't you think you'll be able to tell if they're Joe's or Blue's??

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yes definitely!

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    though i wouldn't test all of them.. just one.. if one is joes.. wouldn't they all be joes?

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    From my understanding there can be multiple sires for a litter if all "did the deed". And honestly, if they were unregistered, I don't think it would bother me as much, but they are registered and I would possibly be lying on the registry, which I would feel terrible about.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they arent ADGA registered so you will have to do the DNA testing on your own......or are they ADGA registered?

Yah Joe meant so much to you --- in the long run it will be worth the money to know.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am not ADGA yet, but I have been talking to them so that I can dual register my herd with them. I went to the UCDavis site, and it is $50.00 if you go straight threw them, so it still is real reasonable and DH said he wants me to do it also

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats great. praying real hard for a mini joe dirt boy :leap:

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I thought the animal had to be alive to get a sample for DNA testing. How do they do this with an animal who is no longer around. Is there a big sample tank somewhere? Can you tell that I am new to all this?

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she just needs to take a sample from Blue and if it isnt Blue that is their daddy then it is Joe. :thumb:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Allison, I sure would do it.

I wish I would of known about that years ago. I had a doe that delivered triplets. I know with all my heart that two are from my buck and the other one is from a buck I took the doe to. As I was taking Sophie out to the trailer my buck got on her and I could not get him off, then I loaded her and took her to another buck. Me mounted her because I was right there. So I am like 100% sure they are from two different dads.

I asked a so called GREAT vet about it and she said it was not possible. (I new she was wrong).

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I pray ...that they are Joe's :pray:

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I would definitely do it then. It would give you the peace of mind you need and it would give your customers peace of mind by knowing definitely who sired their goat.