The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
you need to get her temp up - warm blankets, hot hair dryer.

do you have CD-Antitoxen or milk of magnesia? the low temp is making her rumen shut down, so no more feed for her until her temp is back up.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
this is from happybleats:

"the new recommended dose for cd antitoxin is
kids under 6lbs give them 3ccs
kids 6-15lbs give them 5ccs
kids 15-20lbs: give them 10ccs
For adults- 80lb goat will get 20ccs
injected SQ every 12 hours

But Im still old school about it lol..with 1 cc per 5#.. every 6 hours for the first day then I go to every 12 ... guess Im just a worry wart.. "

how are the colour of her eyelids?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
ya...needles are weird to give esp the first time.

is she drinking? how's her temp? coming back up?

here's a recipe for homemade electrolytes. she needs to keep hydrated. maybe use warm water too to help get her temp back up.

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Good advice given!!!! Gether temp up!!! warm blankets, a space heater with you present (never leave her alone with it) or a heating lamp..rub briskly.to stimulate! Keep up with the cd antitoxin every 4-6 hours!!
..Thiamine or fortified B complex is needed...check you bottle if the Thiamin is 100gm then 4 -5 cc per 100# every 6 hours..itf its the 25 ML you will need to give 4 times that amount!! never give more than 10 cc at one location...the injection sight will leak it all out...so changed location when giving more than 8 to 10 cc

you also want to treat for listeriosis since both listeriosis and polio look the same..large doses of Penicillian is needed ..this link shows a chart onhow much to give plus gives info on both illnesses
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

also consider Deer worm if you have white tale deer...

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
when my goat was down, goathiker told me to give 12 x B100 complexes. crush it up, and mix with some honey to get it down, OR what I did was drench it with the electrolyte mixture.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
nono, 12 tablets at one go. one tablet doesn't have enough, and goats don't absorb the vitamin well through their stomach, so you have to give a lot. don't worry, there's no overdosing on B vitamins. what she won't use she'll pee it out.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
ok, found it from goathiker:

"I worked out with a gal how many human Thiamin tabs she would need one time. It was 12 100mg ones crushed and mixed with a bit of honey. "

so, make sure the total number of b vitamins equal 1200mg of thiamine (B1)

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
good advice!!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts