Goat down

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Daisygoat, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Daisygoat

Daisygoat New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    One of our 6-month old does keeps trying to lay down and is bloated this morning!! Hubby is outside trying to keep her up and massaging her belly. He thinks it's the grain/corn that's bloated her. What else should we be doing or looking for?

Ok I just went outside and she's got foam around her mouth and we can't get her mouth open!!! How can we get anything down her??? Hubby is rubbing her stomach trying to get her to belch. I'm trying not to PANIC.

What are baking soda balls???? I have some magnesium and epsom salt, would that help get things moving?? I still don't know how to get it IN her!!! HELP.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if her jaw is locked up it could be tetanus. Do you have any antitoxin?

Another possibility is that she has froathy bloat and she needs a vet ASAP

3. Daisygoat

Daisygoat New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    We managed to get her mouth open and we're putting milk of magnesia down her now. I believe it must be frothy bloat.

Need to get back outside ....

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Sounds like frothy to me. Get some MOM ldown her like you're doing and walk her. Rub her stomach. A handful of baking soda will get her to burp but if its frothy its not going to do a thing.
    keep us posted.
    beth

5. Daisygoat

Daisygoat New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Hubby just told me he hasn't been able to get her mouth open. We're still doing the MOM and rubbing her belly. She is burping a lot but so sign of action at the other end yet.

Back to the baby ....

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

burping is good. has she pooped at all?
    beth

7. Daisygoat

Daisygoat New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    She pooped earlier but nothing in a few hours.

After more researching I'm beginning to think it's tetanus. She cannot open her mouth. One of her horns broke half off about a month or so ago. We put blood stop on it and antibiotics but they said on this site that this can cause it.

I read this just now on http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... tanus.html:

The incubation period for tetanus can be from a few days to several months,but is usually ten (10) to twenty (20) days. Early symptoms include a rigid gait, mild bloat, and anxiety. Tetanus quickly progresses to the animal's being unable to open its mouth (hence the term "lockjaw"), a rigid extension of the legs (front legs extended forward and together, with back legs extended backwards and together in a rocking horse- like stance),excessive salivation, constipation, inability to stand, neck stiffness with the head pulled hard to one side and accompanying tail and ear rigidity, and seizures. It is not a pretty sight. Once the goat is down and can't get up, death occurs quickly (usually within 36 hours or less).

She has ALL those symptoms!!!! Since our three other goats aren't sick I have a gut feeling that this is what it is....

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry... you are having so much trouble.. :( ...I recommend seeking a vet.....she sounds like she is going down quickly.... I will pray... that she gets better.... :pray:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    your gonna need CD antitoxin to save her from tetnus...call a vet :hug: :sigh:

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    not CD Antitoxin but Tetanus Antitoxin -- big difference. CD antitoxin is for enterotoxemia and Tetanus Antitoxin is for Tetanus.

11. Daisygoat

Daisygoat New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Thanks for all the help.

We called the vet and he confirmed it was tetanus. Hubby took her to the vet's home office to put her down.

I can't stop crying .....

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awe I am so sorry :tears: :hug: There is no way for you to have known what would transpire with the horn.

putting them down is so hard but you did the right thing to put her out of her pain. :hug: :grouphug:

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    whoops sorry, still early here in alaska

SO SORRY for you, really, its such a hard thing to do :hug: :hug: :(

14. happyhogs

happyhogs Member

Oct 12, 2009
    you poor, poor thing. I am soooo sorry. Big hugs xxx

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm so sorry :hug: You did the kindest thing for her, hard as it is to think of that now, she thanks you :hug: