Goat drop off ??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Julie, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    So I was sittin here in my living room, and Jeremiah (hubby) just walked out the door to go huntin and he opened the door back up and said "You know you got a goat out here running up through the yard?" ... I jumped up and ran to the door (all my goats are tame, so it wouldnt' be a problem getting them back in except maybe my pygmy buck Goliath). He said "it's a brown one" ... I only have one brown one ... Goliath, so I was about to rush out the door to catch him before he got to rambuncteous and when I went to go out the door I saw the goat heading into the woods (we live on about 160acres) and right away said "That's not my goat!" ... it was a large breed brown goat with horns (only caught a glimpse of it myself ... looked like a oberhasli). SO I went running after it (it was a good ways off by now) and tracking it through the woods (about a half a mile) and I just couldn't catch up to it. I couldnt' continue because I was in a skirt, barn boots, and was freezing cold, and couldn't leave Jasmine in the house alone (since Jeremiah was heading out hunting) ... so I had to turn back.
    Now here I am typing this ... really seriously considering going back out and taking the 4-wheeler (if I can without getting it stuck in snow) to look some more.

Jeremiah saw it best ... he said it looked really pregnant.

Soooo ... I'm assuming this was a drop off from someone who knew I have goats. We live on 160acres of mostly woods and some farm (my Grandma's farm and mine). And there's no goat farms around that I know of other than a Saanen farm.

Wonder what the chances are that I could find the goat and bring it back to safety if I go back out (now that it has a huge advantage).

I'm kinda suprised it didn't stick around here ... when he seen/smelled/heard my goats.

Think I should go back out ? Or do ya think it's a slim chance of finding it now ?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would leave food out, the 4 wheeler will scare it more then help you find it/her.

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I would just leave out food for it, goats = food, so this other goat will probably come back looking for nummies.
    He/she could be really scared of people too, so I would just keep an eye out the windows.. if you don't see it after a couple days I would start looking for it, especially if it may be pregnant.
    Are there alot of deer hunters around?

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I agree - put food out close to the tree line (just a bit) and then start luring it in closer. You will make friends in no time :)

5. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    I have a feeling that it's long gone. But I can try to put something out for it. I really have my doubts it will come back ... I followed/tracked (by foot) a good ways through the woods ... and it was headed towards our neighbors/the road/etc. ~ so if it kept going the way it was headed - it will probably end up in someone elses yard ... but who knows.

I didn't take the 4-wheeler through the woods after it .. I just took up the driveway, etc. to see if I could spot it anywhere (to know it's direction/etc.). I know the 4-wheeler would scare it ... I would try to catch it that way. Just wanted to see if I could spot it's location from the driveway, and/or see where it's tracks were headed (after I quit following it) to get an idea of where it would be. But I didn't see anything along the driveway.

Bad thing is ... I know there's a mother bear and 4 cubs in our parts (they were in our field a few days ago). And also it's deer season ... and I know there's been alot of hunters out. Jeremiah almost pulled up to shoot when it came through the yard cause he thought it was a deer at first. So the brown doesn't help matters, and it's size (it's like the size of a deer).
    So I have a bad feeling that it might not make it out there on it's own ... unless someone takes it in.

I wish it could've happened all over again so I could've seen it before it came up through the yard and had a better chance of catching it. Oh well ... can't go back in time. Poor thing. I hope it survives. I really hope it comes back here ... but I atleast hope it survives somehow - wether it comes here or someone else catches it.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats to bad. Hopefully it makes its way back to the home it came from as it probably has a home somewhere. Poor thing

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    stake a goat in the front yard

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Kinda late for this thread,,,but...

Yeah, I agree with ya Julie,,,I would think it's long gone. And I really doubt it'd come back. If it was scared and running across your lawn, I bet it's far now especially since you followed it and couldn't catch up. I would take the four wheeler out and a rope and see if you can find it again. Also, do you have a dog you could take along? Our dogs can find anything for us.

Unfortunately if you can't find it and you're in a forested area, the chances of it getting shot or eaten are likely. That's to bad if someone did drop it off, they didn't just ask if you wanted it.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    it could still be around.. keep trying

10. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Anything new on this goat today? I just saw this thread and am wishing that it would come back so you could help it.

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I met a man that needed help with his goat. He told me that the day before Thanksgiving (several years ago), a goat cam to him house, went down in his window well. Had no idea what to do so he posted signs all over the place trying to fine the home. He though some how she must of escaped. Well Thanks giving day he went out to check on her and she had twins. Now he had no idea what to do but of course give hay and he had some grain for his mini horses. He kept those goats for several years and they were his pride and joy. My daughter and I went to there place every month and trimmed the hoof, we did all the shots for them and I tel you they were SPOILED. They did not like my daughter and I but they ran to him and his wife.
    Well one day they called and asked if I wanted them. I could not take them but I told him I would look for the right home for them. I took three weeks finding a home for them, going to places and seeing the set up for them. I had to because these were their babies.
    well when I loaded those guys in the trailer to take to their new place they cried so hard. I felt like I was taking away their children.

Well I may as well of because he passed away 6 days later. :sigh:

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh , my that's so terrible....... :(

13. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    well, I put hay and stuff out ... the goat never returned. Never seen it once since the other day. I have no idea what happened to it. sigh