The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have not ever had a goat with tetanus but I have had it with a 3 month old foal. It was horrible, she was completely rigid and she did survive but she was a shell of a horse because of how early in life it happened. She could possibly survive but she'll need therapy for quite a while. Range of motion exercises for her legs and neck. Anti toxin for sure. She'll need care for months, even after she starts improving.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Can someone please tell me if her meat can be used? As too many different injections are given and don't know the exact condition of bacteria, we shouldn't eat it???

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
No,you can't.
We don't actually know how tetanus infects the nervous system. We do know that after the animal dies it creates spores that infect the ground around the decaying corpse.
It would be taking a chance that I wouldn't be okay with to even butcher her.
Here doctors and vet saying you can eat meat

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi..I'm so sorry, I saw this rather late. But the injection in the first photo is a vaccine.. which won't work now.
The second photo has immunoglobulin... which is what the antitoxin contains....but iv never used human immunoglobulin in a goat.....it might cause a severe reaction.
Your best bet is finding an equine based antitoxin....it will clearly say equine on the package. The one I used vaxitet IG equine.from incepta company ..3000IU (one vial) every 12 hours for 4 days....so 24000IU in total.
She needs penicillin as well as mentioned before...
If you're putting her down...I personally wouldn't eat the meat, due to both the disease and the recent antibiotics it got.
So sorry your goat is going through this...I pray she recovers

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Can someone please tell me if her meat can be used? As too many different injections are given and don't know the exact condition of bacteria, we shouldn't eat it???
Please do not slaughter her for consumption. It could very well contaminate other food sources. Please try obtain the vaccine for your other babies. I am sorry you had to watch this. It is a very slow death for them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I had slaughtered it few hours ago. It was very difficulty to watch. I was feeling like a part of my body is being cut. But eventually we realize that everything in this world will perish.
I have some questions if someone here can answer it.
1. Which other dieseas causes this Jaw Lock situation as here some says it was a severe bloat case whereas my does have bloated and many times and I have never experienced this Jaw Lock???
2. can 1 week old kids can get tetanus vaccine?
3. can a first freshener milk be sufficient for all the 4 kids (currently we are following alternate feeding, Like we let the 2 kids feed and after 4 hours the other 2 kids) So should we need to consider bottle feeding?
4. Also the vet which assisted the delivery and then puts his hands (without gloves and washing) inside the vagina to see if there are more kids and removing the filth by his hands may had causes the tetanus?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am glad she isn't in any more pain. You did a great job fighting for her and helping her out when she was hurting.

It's not really possible for the vet to have caused the tetanus. Lockjaw can be caused by a few other, rarer things, but if your goat was not vaccinated for it, it's very likely that it was just tetanus and she just picked it up from a tiny wound/scratch you didn't even know about. Tetanus lives in soil and is absolutely everywhere around us in the environment. It can also take weeks for it to become symptomatic.

Tetanus causes bloating in goats, so it is very likely the problem was always her tetanus infection and she did not start the more classical, diagnostic symptoms (the lockjaw and tetanic spasms) until later on.

I vaccinate my pregnant does before they kid, and kids at 5-6 weeks. But if you have kids born to unvaccinated does, they may be vaccinated at 7-21 days.
https://goats.extension.org/goat-vaccination-program/

I am very sorry for your loss and proud you fought so hard for her.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
As hard as it was you did the right thing. I think you'll probably need to bottle raise the kids. It would be hard on your other goat to try to feed four babies and she probably won't have enough for all. The sooner you can get them to take a bottle the better. They may have to be very hungry before they'll take one, but usually if you are patient you will be successful. They can drink pasteurized cow or goat milk. You won't find a lot of love for milk replacers on this website, but some kids do well on it. I don't know what is most readily available in your part of the world.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Very sorry for your loss...but it's not in any pain now and with her Lord. I pray your other goats continue to do well.

Agree with others...the kids will probably need bottle feeding. And yes, bloating is a symptom of tetanus...and the disease usually progresses slowly and almost unnoticeably until the goat is very sick. We don't have the vaccine here...but I just keep the antitoxin on hand and use it after wounds, castrating etc and pray for the best. As for the vet...I hope he listens if you advise him to wash hands/ wear gloves...as it is not confirmed that it will get an infection, but very possible as the does immune system is low at that time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I talked to many people about this event as I am still disturb. A well managed commercial farm who do vaccines and take care hygienically doesn't recommend me to give tetanus vaccine to my kids and the doe left. They said we even doesn't give it in our herd.
@Aasiya talked to a vet here. He said the antitoxin for tetanus which are for human should be given to the goat and it will not cause any issue. He said if any of your goats get deep wound, you should give it the human anti toxin injection available in normal medical stores.
Also one vet still believe that it was not a case of tetanus but it was only bloating as the body of the goat was not completely stretched (all muscles were not stiff)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I talked to many people about this event as I am still disturb. A well managed commercial farm who do vaccines and take care hygienically doesn't recommend me to give tetanus vaccine to my kids and the doe left. They said we even doesn't give it in our herd.
@Aasiya talked to a vet here. He said the antitoxin for tetanus which are for human should be given to the goat and it will not cause any issue. He said if any of your goats get deep wound, you should give it the human anti toxin injection available in normal medical stores.
Also one vet still believe that it was not a case of tetanus but it was only bloating as the body of the goat was not completely stretched (all muscles were not stiff)
The vet is right...the human antitoxin is safe for goats and should be given for any wounds. The one I mentioned is for humans and widely available without prescription in our country, only its derived from horse's blood which is safer in my opinion, as that's what goat tetanus antitoxin is made of too. The picture you gave was made of human immunoglobulin, it's more expensive and safer for humans but more likely to cause reaction goats( as far as I know)...some goats may very well tolerate it. But if the vet is ok with it, you can use it ofcourse, I just mentioned my choice, which I feel is safer:)

41 - 60 of 60 Posts