Goat ear infections?????

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 4hmama, Jan 14, 2009.

1. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    One of my does is losing hair around her eyes and the base of her ears. Skin is flaky where the hair is thin. I wondered if it was lice, but I don't see anything. I have 4 goats together, and she is the only one that is having this problem. She is shaking her head some. I am wondering if she has an ear infection and is rubbing the hair off because her ears are bothering her. We don't have any goat vets in the area, so I am asking for opinions and advice. I was thinking about getting a bacterial/fungal ear drop (for dogs - from a local dog vet) and using it. What do you think??? What about ear mites - do goats get those???? Is there a topical something that I could put on her to kill "critters" if that is what it is?

2. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Sounds like mites around her ears and eyes, and yes goats get them. You can use VetRX around ears and eyes (don't get it in her eyes). You can also put a few drops of Ivomec in her ears too. Now if it is mites they get in the bedding to so you need to clean that too. HOpe that helps some.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup I second the VetRx you can put it in her ears too

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I third that ....LOL :) :wink:

5. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Sounds like I need VetRX :)
    Where can I get it??

6. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I got mine at Jeffers. A bottle last for a long time I also use it for sniffley noses. I also saw it at Theisens Farm Store

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    YEP Vet Rx for me also.

Do you have a supply store around you at all, like where you get feed? Call all of them around and see ifthey have it on the shelf. I have noticed around here all the places are carring a lot more goat stuff all the time.

8. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Checked with So. States - they said that for them to order VetRx, I need a prescription???? The only other place is Tractor Supply. I will check there tomorrow.

9. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    you do not need a script for VetRX, you can usually buy it at any farm/supply store, hope you are able to find some tomorrow, good stuff to have on hand for sniffles/colds too. And you can use it on most of your animals not just goats.