Goat ear tags

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Dee4, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Hi,
    I've noticed a lot of members goats are not tagged, is that normal in your countries.
    UK rules that, even goats as pets have to be tagged.
    I hate them, so when I got my kids few months ago, I had my vet remove them, (which went very well), then had them microchipped.
    Vet though the hole would heal up, as they are still growing, that did seem so, and they looked fairly closed up, but now both kids, have lost which I thought had grown in hole, the other ear seems same closed up.
    Does anyone know, if the hole will start to close up again, or will they be left with the hole now.
    Much better than horrible big yellow disks in each ear, I always worried that they could get caught up. Thank you mates

2. Wcd

Wcd Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    We up till now have not tagged. But that may soon change. We brought home a doe earlier last summer. She had a ear tag that my guess was not sterilized and caused an awful infection. When we got her home we treated her with the purple stuff, removed the ear tag and she has healed up nicely.

3. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    All of ours get tattooed with our herd tattoo, even the ones we sell as unregistered or are wethered. That way there is permanent identification of the goat’s origin. I think I’m going to start microchipping all of our keepers for an extra level of security.

4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Wow I had no idea that you had to tag in the UK. There's no rule like that here in the US unless transporting across state lines (we'll often times be negligent on that too though). Can you not do collar tags in the UK? Like these? https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/neck-tags

5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Scrapie tags leave holes in ears, that never close. Generally, the dairy goats are tattooed.
    I bought some Saanens from another state and they had put the scrapie tags (white) in the ears. All the ears were infected. I just used wire cutters and cut them out. (saved the tags, just in case ever needed) I am not a fan of ear tags in goats.

GoofyGoat, AlabamaGirl, Dee4 and 2 others like this.
  6. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Mine are tattooed. So.I only have to ear tag if selling to travel.

AlabamaGirl and MadHouse like this.
  7. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Hi,
    Yes ours was treated with purple spray, when tags were removed, I've sprayed again the hole that has become unplugged, just as a precaution. Did your Doe take long to heal her hole ? Thank you

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  8. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Yes, much kinder than those horrible tags, take care and keep well

9. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

10. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Yes, I've kept the tags, just in case I ever get asked for them, but microchipped now.
    I was hoping that as the kids are still growing, that the hole would close up, but I fear it might, then de plug... just hope the hole does not get caught on anything...me fretting yet again.
    One question may I ask, my wether is quite rough with my doe, head butting etc, do they hurt them selves, he is slightly bigger than her, although very loving to me, Lulu (doe) is more selective with cuddles, unless there is food... obviously . Thank you

11. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    My wether is like that. I don't put him in with the does much anymore. I worried he would cause one of my pregnant does to abort. He lives with my buck, and is no longer the dominant goat. My buck is actually nicer to him than he was to the other goats.

12. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Goats in general can play rough until the pecking order is established. I have 23 Nigerian dwarfs and one big boer, and some days when they’re playing it looks like a sport fighting ring or professional wrestlers riot.
    The times I worry is when a bully corners someone and continually rams them or if ones picking on one of my preggos. As long as they have room to run and get away I don’t panic over it.
    Yes, you can worry a bit if your wether is hitting in the ribs, belly or acting like a battering ram, but if it’s a couple of butts to say “hey, I’m boss here” it’s perfectly normal.
    Best wishes

Moers kiko boars, MadHouse and Dee4 like this.
  13. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Oh heck!,
    I got them as a pair, not brother and sister though, but they were brought up together on the farm I got them from.
    Was told need to have at least two, as they like Company, can't separate them as they call for each other when I take them out separately for little walk, also take them together.
    He gets bit jealous I think, as he likes more cuddles, who said goats were easy lol. Thank you

14. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Can you find another wether about the same age to add to your herd? Boys will be boys and if there’s two they should play with each other rather than picking on your doe.

15. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Hi,
    I feel bit better now, after reading your reply, they do have a lot of room to play, and I think it's play fight, he does not hit her in the ribs etc, but I will keep a check on that, but usually just letting her know he is boss. So head butting is playing then most of the time.Thank you and take care.

16. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Yes, I might keep that in mind.

17. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Hello! Not to make you worry, but make sure you keep an eye out for anything that might get caught in their ear holes. I’ve had them rip their ears that way a couple times. I wouldn’t be too worried about it, but just watch for nails or anything small that could get caught.

18. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Keeping them about the same age roughly is the key here though. If you brought a baby or very young one into the mix the wether could really be too rough.

Moers kiko boars, MadHouse and Dee4 like this.
  19. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    You'll be able to tell if it's play fight or mean behavior! My wether hit one of my does so hard he gave her a limp. The other goats would tense up around him, knowing he would come after them. If they're just sparring head to head, or he gives her the occasional head butt to let her know who's boss, that's fine.

20. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

OUCH, yes I will take extra care, or get them ear muffs . Thank you