Goat easy to milk... until she’s not!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Mamatoes, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    Hey so when I first started milking it was horrible she hated it. She’s now pretty great.... until she’s done. So she’s tied now with home made hobbles. But when she’s done she like does a dance and makes it nearly impossible or I’m afraid she’ll hurt herself. I KNOW she has more in there (she’s still Got her kids cuz I’m soft, theyre 10 weeks and on her all day) her udder is veryyyyyyy squishy at night when I try to teach my son but when she’s “done” with me it’s still pretty full (also these goats really do have a lot of milk for being so tiny!) so my question... HOW DO I GET ALL THE MILK?! Lol sorry just frustrated because I know she’s got it and I just can’t get it lol.

Attached Files:

2. Totesmgoats

Totesmgoats Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Longview, WA
    I have a doe like this too, and I am by far an expert, but when she starts fighting I usually stop going for her udder for a minute and just pet her, stir her food with my hand, and talk to her a bit. Once she's calm I let her be calm for a minute and then I go back to it. Usually that'll give me another five minutes before she decides she's done again. I've found doing this for the last few weeks she's getting calmer and not fighting as much (although that last bit is still something of a struggle haha)

3. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    Ya I’ll have to try getting creative. I think she’s just trying to save it for the kids. Not sure why she lets them milk anymore anyways. They’re so rude!!!!! They like topple her over! Three is a crowd! I’d be so mad if I was a mom goat

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I have one what will step away real quick and not want me to finish..I standup and massage her udder well and she lets me finish. I think she developed the habit when my daughter was milking her. Slowly she is getting better.

5. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    Ok good idea. I gotta try something. I never get all the milk out and I’m gonna lose her supply!

6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    When shes "done" is that when she runs out of grain? If so put some more grain in there and keep going! Sometimes you just don't let go of ger udder and she will figure out that your not going to stop until YOU are done

HMNS, Sfgwife, Totesmgoats and 2 others like this.
  7. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    no, she still had grain! But she’s done lol. I have read you just need to let them know who’s boss and they’ll get it but man I hate seeing her upset

MadHouse likes this.
  8. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Mine was like that for quite a while in the beginning. I did what you did, talked to her, stirred the food, brushed her a bit. She always came around. Now she is addicted to grain and I have to mix it in some hay so it takes her long enough to eat. That way I am done before her. I joke that we both try to “empty it” as fast as we can.
    Hopefully yours will come around too! :)

HMNS and Nommie Bringeruvda Noms like this.
  9. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    Thanks! Great idea! I’ve added kelp and she doesn’t love it but it slows her down. But she still puts a big fuss up!

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    When you are milking, milk into a small bucket then every few min. pour the milk into a clean container, that way, if she steps in the milk bucket when she is fooling around, you only lose a small amount of milk.

11. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    great idea!

MadHouse likes this.
  12. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    YOU GUYS! this morning went GREAT! pretty sure she was so close to being empty too! It felt so much more squishy! I went from getting half the mini mason jars (250ml?) to half the big one! (500ml?) so I doubled my yield!

is this a good/normal amount? It did take a lot longer! I don’t know how you guys do multiple goats. I had this dream of having like 3-5 goats but now that I see how long it takes I may just keep mama and daughter from now on and sell the kiddies. My hands hurt!

anyways thanks so much all!

13. MadHouse

That’s great!!!
    Your hands will get stronger! You will get faster. You will look back and say, it used to take me a LOT longer to milk!

14. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    I hope so!!

MadHouse likes this.
  15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You and the goat will work out a system. It will go faster and smoother over time. (But beware! As soon as you get complacent, she will put her foot in the milk bucket. Just to keep you on your toes!) :heehee:

16. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    Lol thanks!! I can’t wait till I can milk twice a day! I gotta find some teat tape!

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is what I do. ;)

MadHouse and Mamatoes like this.
  18. MadHouse

I didn’t know you milk!?!

19. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Neither did I. Do you have diary breeds or do you milk your Boers.

MadHouse likes this.
  20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL, yes, it is when I am drying off the does/boers, I do milk them. ;)
    Don't want them getting mastitis.

Have a doe who steps in the bucket full of milk, spills it all over, made me so mad. So I do dump it in another bucket as I am milking her, so she doesn't spill as much, if she steps in the bucket. ;)