Goat eating wool

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by BorderKelpie, Jul 17, 2017.

1. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Active Member

Mar 27, 2016
    I have two 'retiree' does, never bred, fat as all get out, shiny, etc. They are 8ish years old. I have had them less than a year. Nubian/boer crosses. Rotten, beastly escape artists with attitude. lol

I caught one pulling off and eating wool from my Suffolk lamb the other day. My daughter said she's been doing that. There are no bald spots on the sheep, so I don't guess she does it a whole lot.

She has loose minerals in her yard, but keeps jumping the fence to get in with the sheep who have a mineral block. They get mostly graze, with grass clippings the neighbors throw over, plus grain and alfalfa pellets in the mornings (and every darn time they jump the fence to lead them back in lol) just to make everyone come up for a head count. I do a paste selenium dose monthly (they are due this week) and the goats were all copper boloused in April.

They look and act healthy and it's only the one doe doing it. Is she just being mean, or could there be a nutritional deficit? (They were given to us for being monster bullies with their original herd).

Thanks!

wifeof1 likes this.
  2. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say I loved the description of your girls! Lol It made me smile because I can tell you love the obnoxious little things! :) I sure hope someone has advice for you!

catharina and BorderKelpie like this.

3. carrotop

carrotop New Member

Jul 18, 2017
    We have had this happening for 16 years... I liken it to some folks like Pepsi, some Coke ;) Some of our goats like wool, some like bark - has never caused any digestive problems. They will be fine - if it gets to be a problem I would separate as the sheep will get the chills in winter
    Best of luck

BorderKelpie and groovyoldlady like this.
  4. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I had one Spring where one of my LaManchas ate all the wooly undercoat of one of our Nigerians. Didn't seem to bother the LaMancha at all and the Nigerian seemed to love the extra attention!

catharina likes this.
  5. BorderKelpie

Mar 27, 2016
    I wish we would get a winter here. We need one. lol
    I suppose I'll just chalk it up to she's a weird girlie. Very, very weird.....

6. carrotop

carrotop New Member

Jul 18, 2017
    weird is good... I guess we all need extra fiber in our diet :haha:

BorderKelpie and Madgoat like this.
  7. BorderKelpie

Mar 27, 2016
    Maybe I can recruit her to help me shear them all? :)

wifeof1 likes this.