Goat Education Clinic - NWODGA 23rd annual conference!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Bellafire Farm, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Hello all,

I hope this is in the right section, plz move it if it's misplaced... I wanted to update everyone here about the 23rd Annual Goat Education Conference here.

It will be on Saturday, Feruary 26th, 2011 @ the Clackamas Community College campus in Oregon City, Oregon.

Topics will range from beginning to advanced & will include youth topics too... things like basic goat care & selection, cheesemaking, soap making, breeding & genetics info, showing & fitting goats, nutrition, PLUS milk test info and Linear Appraisal info!! It will be a TON of wonderful information from some of the TOP people in the goat industry!
    They say it's the biggest goat education clinic west of the Mississippi! And it's only $25 per adult and $12.50 per youth, so a GREAT DEAL! You also get a wonderful big booklet of information when you pre-register... the booklet contains notes from ALL the classes and topics given that day! Very helpful!

Here is our NWODGA website for additional info:
    http://nwodga.org/2010_conference.htm

2. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Tentative Topic List

Zoonosis – Animal Diseases Transferable to Humans
    Dr. Joan Bowen

Selective Pathogen Prevention in Goats
    Dr. Joan Bowen

Linear Appraisal
    John White

You've Got to be Kidding!
    Meg Hicks

YOUTH--Pack Goats!--Saddle and Track
    Jan Privratsky

Adult--Pack Goats!--Saddle and Track
    Carolyn Eddy

Beginning Cheese Making Part 1
    Carine Golden & Gayle Starbuck

Beginning Cheesemaking - Part 2
    Carine Golden & Gayle Starbuck

Goat Herbalism
    Kat Drovdahl, M.H., C.R., Dipl.H.Ir

Meet the Fiber Goats- Breeds & Management
    Carol Ronan

Fiber Goats-A Hands-On Practice at Making Yarn
    Carol Ronan

YOUTH - Care of Your Pygmy Goat
    Marie Perkins Layman

YOUTH/ADULT Breeding 4 Ideal Type--A Study of Meat Goats for Show
    Marie Perkins-Layman

YOUTH & ADULT--Basic Management Skills--Disbud, Tattoo, Castrate, etc…
    Susan Phillips

YOUTH--Basic Management Skills--Disbud, Tattoo, Castrate, etc…
    Susan Phillips

YOUTH--Being a Responsible Goat Herdsman...Do You Have What it Takes?
    Amelia Caldwell Marie Lehnhardt

How Your Doe Can be a Star – Milk Production Testing
    Lisa Shepard

YOUTH & ADULTS--Hands On Soap Making
    Lilly Mayer

Parasite Fecal Exam – Hands-On Lab Experience
    Dr. Susan Kerr

Metabolic Diseases of the Goat
    Gary Fredricks

Performance through Longevity-Breeding for Type
    John White

You've Got To Be Kidding!
    Meg Hicks

Goat Pharmacology
    Dr. Joan Bowen

*M, PTA, ETA, SGCH ? What Does it all Mean (Reading Pedigrees)
    Lisa Shepard 1-2 PM Only

Hoof Trimming
    Diane Gray

DHIR Scale Calibration $5/scale
    Joel Taylor, Willamette DHIA

All Breed Goat Nutrition
    Jim Sorenson

Advanced Cheese Making Part 1
    Mary Rosenblum

Advanced Cheese Making Part 2
    Mary Rosenblum

Meet the Fiber Goats- Breeds & Management
    Carol Ronan

Fiber Goats-A Hands-On Practice at Making Yarn
    Carol Ronan

Correct Diet for Bucks and Wethers--Controlling Urinary Calculi
    Carolyn Eddy

Drawing Blood Samples for Lab Testing
    Amy Akramoff

YOUTH/ADULT Goat Carting Around in the Parking Lot
    Shelley Hansen

YOUTH--Preparing a Goat for Show--Team Fitting Clinic
    Amelia Caldwell Marie Layman

YOUTH - Goat-A-Rama - Games to Help you Learn
    Colette Kemper

YOUTH and ADULTS--Hands On Soap Making
    Lilly Mayer

Cooking with Chevon---Goat Meat
    Darrell Lauer

The Guernsey Goat
    Diane Gray

How Your Doe Can be a Star – Milk Production Testing
    Lisa Shepard

"Backyard Economics-Where Did the Money Go?"
    Dr. Lauren Acton

YOUTH - Goat Showmanship Clinic
    Amelia Caldwell Tessa Magguilli

Lots of INFORMATION! :dance:

For Further Information Regarding the Conference Contact Raspberry at [email protected] or by answering machine at 503-233-4274. Or you can email me, Traci, [email protected] .

Hope to see some of you there!

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow this sounds great! I wish I lived closer to you! I don't know what they have anything like that where we live.

4. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Ditto Hoosier. If I weren't all the way in NC it sounds like a great conference!

5. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    It DOES sound great... I've wanted to take a class on goat herbalism with that woman... but I've got a mom with dementia living with me, and a goat to milk now!! I've kind of 'tied myself down' with all the things I've taken on lately.... maybe next time (???)

6. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Absolutely, next year will have more great classes too! And DEFINITELY let me know if there is anything in particular that you'd like to see!

I'm ALWAYS voting for more AI breeding stuff... but this year I was amped up over the milk testing and linear appraisal too!
    FUN FUN FUN

7. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Bumping this up for anyone who can make it this weekend!

Have also mentioned to our Association about "posting" some of the info/notes on the classes on our NWODGA website, or possibly selling editions of the WONDERFUL book each attendee gets at the conference. The book is AMAZING and has all the notes for EVERY class... therefore my prior years books get re-read OVER and OVER and OVER again all year long. And then I don't beat myself up for missing a certain class. :thumb:

8. milkcreek ridge

milkcreek ridge New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Mulino, Oregon
    I went, it was a wonderful conference. I learned alot

9. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Thank you so much!

Do you have any suggestions, class idea's, tips, etc.... for us to improve upon for next years conference? Would LOVE to hear any.... feel free to email me @ [email protected] if you'd like. :thumb:

10. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    It is a good idea to offer the notes as a book. I would love to set something that could cover so many topics.

11. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    @Kannm - Did you get the chance to make it to the conference? Pre=registered persons should have recieved a book of notes from the classes. And I believe all the attendees had the opportunity to get a book, not sure if it was free for all or just the pre-registered??? I've always pre-registered & just had a book & nametag waiting for me, so I'm not sure about the sign up process. Also I believe the notes are up to the speakers, so some classes may have not had notes????...although I believe 95% did. I've found the notes really just brush upon the content that's discussed in detail in the class. For example: The linear appraisal class has notes w/pictures & descriptions showing what you should strive for... however the class itself went into WHY you want to strive for those things and HOW those numbers are actually determined....just a more in-depth idea of the entire process.

I believe they were also selling extra books for $5, but I'm not sure of the details w/that. I know we did discuss recently the idea of creating more of an actual "book" to sell on via our website...but there are a WIDE variety of issues regarding copywrite laws, publication stuff, and the ever-changing speakers & ever-changing world of goats too. But it did get "put out there" for discussion, and I will continue to "poke" at it and see where it goes. :wink:

Thanks for the input. I appreciate all the idea's I can get to make improvements. :thumb:

12. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    No, I have not gone to one of the conferences, although I would really like to have a chance. I would just want to be able to read up on what was presented. There probably is a market for information in this format. If a person is presenting their own material and they agree to allow it to be published in a "conference publication" then there should not be a copyright problem. I say "should" but I know conferences do that all of the time.

13. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Hmmm.... brilliant and helpful info! I will definitely pass it on! Thank you! :thumb: