1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Crazy Goat/Cat lady
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working animal Terrestrial animal Animal feed Snout Grass
Carnivore Working animal Plant Grass Dog breed
hey,
I have three ND does never been bred. Great health overall. The heard queen Mary Jane is aggressive and pushes around her sisters ALOT.

This morning we noticed that one of Mary Janes eyes is all cloudy and weeping a bit. I haven't been able to get a closer look but will as soon as I'm done posting this. I will be calling the vet but just want advice now I'm very worried.

She is eating but isn't being as aggressive with food as she normally is. I think that's because she's can't see. But she's eating.

What should I do? Should I get some anti biotics for goats? Other supplements like Vitamin B to help heal? Any ointments?

Has anyone had this happen? I'm thinking she injured her eye on a branch or by fighting with her sisters. She also could have a piece of hay in her eye but that's going to be hell getting out.
I'll post pictures.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,506 Posts
Sounds like pink eye.

Flush with saline. LA200 drops right in the eye or a shot. Terramycin ointment or Veterycin. Colloidal silver can go in the eye also.

Vitamin b complex shots and Probios.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,893 Posts
I will be calling the vet
I'm thinking she injured her eye on a branch or by fighting with her sisters. She also could have a piece of hay in her eye but that's going to be hell getting out
A vet would be more specialized and experienced in removing a foreign object and/or evaluating the extent of an injury.

This is more information about pink eye you may find helpful. If this is pinkeye, please be aware it is highly contagious to the other goats.
www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/pinkeyeingoats.html

·
Crazy Goat/Cat lady
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

So I bought terramyacin ointment. We have some probiotics. I also bought Power Punch which has b12 and other vitamins it's a drench not injectable. So she will be getting all of those.

I will try colloidal silver as well

If it does spread to her other eye or the other goats then I'll know it's pink eye. But for some reason I think she injured it. I a man kinda hoping it is pink eye because that's treatable but an injury could be really bad.

I think I will get the vetrycin eye stuff as well because that's non antibiotic.

Will the terramyacin treat if it's pink eye or do I need the LA200?

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,893 Posts
If it does spread to her other eye or the other goats then I'll know it's pink eye. But for some reason I think she injured it. I a man kinda hoping it is pink eye because that's treatable but an injury could be really bad.
If it is pinkeye, you would want to quarantine her to prevent it from spreading to the other goats. Waiting for it to spread is not advisable. Depending on the severity, all of the goats could have problems seeing instead of just her. An eye injury gets worse the longer it is left untreated.

A vet would be the best course of action for multiple reasons.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Thanks!

So I bought terramyacin ointment. We have some probiotics. I also bought Power Punch which has b12 and other vitamins it's a drench not injectable. So she will be getting all of those.

I will try colloidal silver as well

I think I will get the vetrycin eye stuff as well because that's non antibiotic.

Will the terramyacin treat if it's pink eye or do I need the LA200?
With it being this bad so quickly a vet is the best shot right now for the eye. Pink eye will not clear up with the vetricyn. Pink eye is an infectios infection that NEEDS antiobiotics. But you are not sure if it is injury or pink eye. So call the vet.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,506 Posts
Pink eye will not clear up with the vetricyn.
"Vetericyn Plus VF Ophthalmic Wash can be used in and around the eye to remove debris, reduce eye irritation, and manage conjunctivitis."

Anyway, yes it will not cure pink eye but is a good aid to have.

The vet is still needed, of course.

Pink eye can be treated naturally with the colloidal silver being the natural antibiotic, but I recommend antibiotics to save the eye because of the advanced state.

·
Crazy Goat/Cat lady
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I’m a little confused. Vetrycin is NOT an antibiotic but terramycin ointment is an antibiotic?

I got terramycin ointment. Which says online is does treat pink eye.

The only problem is she will FREAK out if she is separated from her sisters. I’m trying to figure out how to do that. Her other eye will probably get pink eye if it is pink eye right?

I’m also trying to decide if I need LA200 which is an injectable antibiotic. From what I read online it is the same type of antibiotic that Terramycin is But it is injectable not an eye ointment. Can pink eye be treated with just an antibiotic eye ointment or should I use an injectable as well?

Ok so from what I’ve gathered my plan is

Antibiotic eye ointment 2x a day
Power Punch vitamin drench 1x a day
Probiotics 1x a day

What I’m trying to decide if I need to also add is

-injectable antibiotic LA200(along with the eye ointment antibiotic)

-colloidal silver

I will call the vet tomorrow if they are open if not I will have to wait till Tuesday. I will obviously go immediately drive however far to a vet that’s open if it gets worse.

She’s eating like normal which I’m really happy about.

I know pink eye is most likely the cause but for some reason I think she got an eye injury. With how quickly it happened (overnight) and the fact it hasn’t spread to her sisters or her other eye is weird.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
The la200 is not used in this circumstance as an injectible. yes you have to draw it up in the syringe but you take the needle off and squirt it directly into the eye.... use a whole 3cc or 5cc syringe per eye. By it being a liquid the theory is that it will coat and reach more space than the ointment does. Many goat keepers have used it this way. The bottle of la will also last you longer than the terra and is cheaper in the long run. :)

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,893 Posts
I highly recommend a vet be allowed to examine her eye as soon as possible. The vet can establish what the problem truly is to eliminate the guesswork. And get her started on the treatment most appropriate for whatever her eye condition stems from, before it gets worse.

As for adding injectable LA200, colloidal silver, to treat an injured eye or aid in removing possible debris from an eye :shrug:. Eyesight is a precious thing, something I wouldn't risk damaging permanently.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
"Vetericyn Plus VF Ophthalmic Wash can be used in and around the eye to remove debris, reduce eye irritation, and manage conjunctivitis."

Anyway, yes it will not cure pink eye but is a good aid to have.

The vet is still needed, of course.

Pink eye can be treated naturally with the colloidal silver being the natural antibiotic, but I recommend antibiotics to save the eye because of the advanced state.
Yes the vetricyn is an aid in this for cleaning only... but the way she worded it made it sound like she did not want to use the terra because it is an antiobiotic and was instead only going to use the vetricyn.

·
8,394 Posts
Wash out the eye with saline or Vetrycin. Then put some LA200 (the injectable antibiotic) in the eye. Gently squirt some in the eye (minus the needle) or, put the Terramycin ointment in the eye.

But if it doesn't clear up, a vet should be consulted before damage is done to the eye.

(Sfgwife: We posted at the same time!)

·
Crazy Goat/Cat lady
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes the vetricyn is an aid in this for cleaning only... but the way she worded it made it sound like she did not want to use the terra because it is an antiobiotic and was instead only going to use the vetricyn.
Oh yeah sorry I worded it weird I meant I wanted to use the vetrycin bc it wasn't an antibiotic because I was already using the terramycin which is an antibiotic.

Thanks everyone! Will update, I'm calling the vet when they open.

Just curious how much does a large animal vet charge where you guys live for a house call? I'm guessing around 150$? I know it depends on the area I just wanted to get an idea. I just had to pay over 3000 to save my cats life from kidney failure so my emergency fund is more than empty. Obviously I'll pay for a vet to see my goat I just really hope it's no more than 200$.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
For what it's worth when we have had pink eye and it was a bad case that the eye is that cloudy, then we would give LA 200 injections and flush eye with it. We give the injection at least for a few days, and then continue the flush until the eye is clear.
We've never had just one case of pink eye it is very contagious and is usually spread by flies. When we see one, we start watching the others like a a hawk for the tell tale eye squint and weeping and start to treat with the LA 200 flush.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Someone that small you should be able to just take in to the vet, instead of paying for a farm call.

You still have to pay for the vet to inspect and treat the animal PLUS you'd have mileage to pay for as well

·
Crazy Goat/Cat lady
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've read that LA200 stings really bad on injection. Does it sting when putting it in their eye?

·
Administrator
84,722 Posts
I honestly would get the goat to the vet. They will put drops in the eye to see if something foreign is on there.
If there is and it is not removed will further damage the eye, by ulceration.
It may or may not be pinkeye.
Unless it has ulcerated, center, pupil.
If ulceration elsewhere, it could be foreign.
Any ulceration at all?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts