The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with using DuMor goat feed? I am currently using a purina goat feed but it is so expensive! I have Pygmy goats and no one is pregnant right now. I also feed them alfalfa hay.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I use stuff from my local feed store, and we also use whole oats. Bonnie actually prefers the whole oats to pelllets, Clyde destroys both with out much indifference. They both have been eating bermuda hay.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I don't use grain when the goats are not pregnant or lactating - do you feel they need to gain weight right now?

Dumor is a commonly used brand and if you are happy with the ingredient list then I wouldn't hesitate to lower your expenses. I'm not sure which Purina formula you are currently feeding so if it is one that contains Ammonium Chloride to prevent Urinary Calculi then you would not be getting that in the Dumor feed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The purina feed I'm using now doesn't have ammonium chloride so I think that it'd be ok in that aspect. A few of my goats are on the thin side. They recently were dewormed for barber pole worms and they had them pretty bad so I'm trying to get them back up to a healthy weight. They've gained a good amount but still have a little farther to go.
But for my more healthy does are you saying that I could cut out feed and just do hay?

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
But for my more healthy does are you saying that I could cut out feed and just do hay?
Yes, grain is unnecessary for goats that are of good body condition and not growing, pregnant, lactating, or bucks working hard breeding. They can do great on loose minerals, free choice hay, and clean water with any additional mineral supplements your herd may need. No need to spend your hard earned money on grain for dry adult animals.

·
Registered
609 Posts
We fed the Dumor goat pellets for about 3 years and did not have any issues with it. Its a TSC brand feed and did a good job for our goats. We would probably still be feeding it but our local Co-op has a dairy feed at 16 % and is cheaper price wise and about the same in ingredients so we are feeding that now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts