Goat feed

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Carl47, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Carl47

Carl47 Member

Jan 29, 2018
    I've had a hard year keeping my Goats healthy. I have 8 adult 5 year old extremely mixed breeds of goats. The pasture is divided and is about 6acres total. Hay is always covered, they all get cdt and wormer when needed(ivermectin 1cc per 40lbs) As of now I am wanting to switch feeds,I've learned what I've been doing is not good. I use medicated alfalfa pellets and 12%sweet feed both from TSC. I live in va have not had a soil sample..YET! being done ASAP. Just wandering what feed types y'all feed and mabe someone near me may know of a better place to buy from.

MadHouse, AlabamaGirl and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you give a good loose goat mineral? What type of hay? Alfalfa pellets are fine but medicated isn't necessary. Can you post pictures of your goats?

MadHouse, Carl47, GoofyGoat and 2 others like this.

3. Green Mountain Farm

Green Mountain Farm Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    I’m in VA and I can relate. I’ve had a LOT of health problems in the past (I’ve lost 3 goats to parasites) here’s what I did to change all that:

1. instead of feeding just 16% sweet feed, I mix it with alfalfa pellets.
    2. I’ve been giving lose minerals every day.
    3. I NEVER deworm on a schedule. NEVER. Deworming on a schedule builds parasite resistance, I go by the FAMACHA score and only deworm if the goat needs it.
    4. I never deworm more than one goat at a time. If more than one are pale, I will deworm the one who is the worst and make the other one wait a couple days before deworming it.
    5. When I see a goat who is sluggish, has bad digestion, or just isn’t feeling well I give garlic, dark beer, and if it’s really bad b complex and probiotics. Usually the dark beer and garlic is enough to get them feeling better. I just learned from a wise goat and sheep owner that green yogurt does wonders too.
    6. Drenching when the goat is under stress. I haven’t been really diligent with this but it is beneficial.
    7. Checking the FAMACHA score every day and making sure that hooves are trimmed monthly and doing regular health checks.
    8. Staying in touch with the vet and not being afraid to call them or a wiser goat owner.

I hope some of this helps! :)

HMNS, bekscott, MadHouse and 4 others like this.
  4. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    What is "Green Yogurt"?

HMNS, MadHouse and Carl47 like this.
  5. Garry Boozer

Garry Boozer New Member

Jan 8, 2021
    We run about 70 goats on 45 acres, wooded and coastal. Our Vet tells is there three most important things to remember about raising goats is: DeWorm, DeWorm, Deworm. He suggests deworming after every rain. We actually deworm (Drench Cyedectin Pour-On for Cattle) about every three months or when they show signs of bottle-jaw, or that become a bit aloof, standing off with no energy.

Carl47 likes this.
  6. BethJ

BethJ Well-Known Member

May 28, 2019
    North Carolina
    I would suggest getting a fecal done before giving any dewormer.. that way you know you are treating appropriately. Ivermectin doesn't kill every parasite. Good loose mineral offered free choice is also important. Do you give copper boluses?

MadHouse and Carl47 like this.
  7. Carl47

Carl47 Member

Jan 29, 2018
    I am going to have fecals done ASAP. As far as hay I'm not sure what is in it I always check eyelids and tht is how and when I worm (no schedule) I ordered copper last night last dose was in May. I use the loose minerals from TCS(can't remember brand) My feed is mixed alfalfa/sweet feed. I started with the medicated last year after I had so much trouble.I trim hooves @ 3-4 times a year.

MadHouse, BethJ and Iluvlilly! like this.
  8. BethJ

BethJ Well-Known Member

May 28, 2019
    North Carolina
    @Carl47 you mention them not being healthy this year. What specific health issues have you had? People may have other suggestions to help get your goats on track if we know more about what's wrong. :) I know you are concerned about your feeding program, are the goats not keeping body condition? Are they males, females, pregnant/nursing?

MadHouse, Iluvlilly! and Carl47 like this.
  9. Carl47

Carl47 Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Well last spring I had one doe miscarriage and she died from listeriosis.another had twins and died the next day. And a kid that died from polio. Ahead to this winter a doe battled polio and coccidiosis and died last Sunday. My pen is wet and no way to fix this. I have put in a huge ditch to pull water away and is helping some.I am having a path put in from the barn to field( gravel&concret) so I think tht will Help a Ton. The main field is dryer so they do have a place w/o mud. Over all my goats are healthy honestly coats shinny famacha is pink but then I get slapped in the face with coccidiosis and polio and listeriosis. My vet told me to switch to cydectin cow pour on from ivermectin. I have 0 faith in corrid I now have baycox on hand. I feel like I'm rambling I guess my question is get rid of the sweet feed and medicated alfalfa and introduce what? (I know to do this slowly)

MadHouse likes this.
  10. Carl47

Carl47 Member

Jan 29, 2018
    2 Boer wether 3yr Old 1 kiko wether 5yr old 1 Nubian/Boer wether 1 yr old 1 nubian doe 3yr old 1 lamacha doe 3yr old 1 lamacha/Boer doe 2yr old 2 lamacha/Boer does 1 yr old 1 Boer doe 1 yr old 1 Boer doe 3 yr old 1 fainter 4 yr old I think tht is all Oh and 1 very mixed up little girl that has one testical she is 1 yr old lamacha/boer

MadHouse likes this.
  11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    First...my opinion about Cydectin cattle pour on..it is made with harsh chemicals to make it stick to a cows hyde. I would not want to put that in my goats. Also giving a pour on orally can further compromise an already anemic or heavy burdened goat. Keep in mind Cydectin is in the same family as Ivomec so if one stops working the other will soon follow. If Cydectin is needed there are other forms..Cydectin sheep drench and Quest horse paste are 2.
    Next ..your messed up little girl with testicle is called a hermaphrodite ;)

Wethers and goats not in service and in good condition do not need grain/feed. Hay, browse and a but if alfalfa is fine. Along with quality loose minerals.
    If grain is needed for condition..a simple 14% pellet feed for goats is good and ca: phos ratio should be 2:1 already.
    Wethers may benefit with Ammonium Chloride.

A good herd check up may help. Checking famacha, fecals and over all condition..coats and weight. When more than one case Polio, Polio/listeriosis is often caused my moldy feed/hay....I would rule this out...check feeders, remove any old hay piles from goats pen ect.

MadHouse, GoofyGoat, BethJ and 3 others like this.
  12. alwaystj9

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    Can you take some good pictures of your goats? I sympathize with you about the mud, btw.

MadHouse, BethJ and Carl47 like this.
  13. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Keeping your pen dry is going to help A LOT! Listeriosis , moldy feed, hoof rots, worms, lice, etc love dark damp places, ..... if you can keep the pens dry this will help toward a healthy herd. Goats and damp conditions are trouble. Also, waiting until you SEE bottle jaw is not good. Regulary run fecals and check famacha to help you get on top of wormload with the right medication before they get that bad.

HMNS, MadHouse, BethJ and 3 others like this.
  14. Carl47

Carl47 Member

Jan 29, 2018
    I am constantly checking and smelling their hay/food and famacha scores the last die really thru me for a loop. As she was good n pink a week earlier and as soon as I saw symptoms I started treatment. My husband always says when it time nothing we can do to stop it. I've only had one buck 3 yrs ago with bottle jaw. I got him all better. I am goin to do fecals monthly now & not just whenever I get around to it, I haven't been diligent in that part. I clean out pen n replace with straw every 2 weeks I can do tht more often too. I'll try n get pictures (my phone is broken so they won't be great) thank y'all for being a shoulder!!

15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Checking eyes (Famacha) is just one tool in your parasite detection tool box, Fecals, hair coat, general health are all part of overall goat health. So many people make the mistake of only going by the "pinkness"of the lower eye. Some parasites eat all the food a goat eats and it won't show up in the famacha score. But, a rough hair coat and pot belly would be a clue.

Mud, unavoidable, can cause problems. And this last year, a lot of corn got an invisible mold on it, that will cause problems. (a bunch of dogs have died due to the mold on the corn that got in the dogfood- big reacall, currently).. That corn could have gotten into the livestock feed, too. Lysteria could be from bad corn, that you would not be able to detect.

During cold temps, most internal parasites do not lay eggs (so would not show up in the fecal sample) but they may be full of parasites. It is a constant battle trying to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it! It sounds like you are trying everything- good luck getting everyone back on track! (so sorry for your losses, those are always heartbreaking...).

16. alwaystj9

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    What's your barn/goat shelter like?

MadHouse likes this.
  17. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Are you feeding up off the ground? That helps a lot as well. Think No hay on the ground, hanging feeders etc
    Using a white dewormer (like valbazen) along side the cydectin can also help knock out the parasite problem. I think it’s @SalteyLove that has a really good chart.
    I’m sorry for your losses, that’s heartbreaking. It sounds like you’re really trying to get things under control. Best of luck to you!

HMNS, MadHouse and Carl47 like this.
  18. Carl47

Carl47 Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Speaking about the corn mold we had a few dogs get sick. And a friend lost a dog from all that. All my feeders are off the ground and the barn is not big mabe 12'x25' or so , has 4 walls dirt floor I have a couple mats and a pallet thing under the straw. I keep their minerals in there. I restock it daily or when empty.even tho they have 2 water barrels they only like one so water is fresh daily. Hay is in a covered thing in the field my next round bail I am going to just keep in shed and feed them by hand in feeders. See if that helps. What's your thoughts on beer pulp and whole oats? I have 14 goats and the get mabe 1 cup each of the grain mix so it's not like they are goin die if they don't get their supper. It's really just a reason for me to be out with them their field is so short now that it's winter. I am gonna block them into half soon. So I can let one side recover ,I think I should lime that side while they are out and reseed some. Have y'all ever liked a whole field? I was thinking barn lime but what do y'all think?

MadHouse likes this.
  19. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Regarding mud: I have started making sure that all of my goats have at least 1 really dry place to hang out. Their shelter is dry, and I will put down pallets around the hay feeder, or wherever else they seem to spend a lot of time, to keep them out of the mud. It makes a difference in their health. My local lumber yard will let me scrounge through their pallets and take whatever I want for free.

Have you considered dry lotting your goats? It sounds like they are grazing on a short pasture. To defeat worm issues, you may need to pull them out of the pasture and put them somewhere where they can only access hay. Don't know if that is doable for you.
    Worms will weaken their immune system and make them more susceptible to other issues.

20. alwaystj9

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    I have limed stalls, usually after a severe cleaning and I leave it empty for a few days after. I Have 2 dirt floor run in stalls that the horse sometimes uses. I also installed a raised (6" above ground) floor in a third stall that the horse is barred from, this is where most of the goats hang out in bad weather. Quarterly the plywood is scraped, limed and checked over. I have never limed a field, I would check on whether to use white lime or agricultural/pelleted lime. I think it is done to reduce the acidity of the soil (I am not 100% sure of this). I know some poultry people who use a mix of lime & Sweet PDZ when it is muddy but I think that is for odor control.