Goat Fencing

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by hphorses, Apr 23, 2010.

1. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Ok I have looked all over and can't seem to find a thread on fencing.

We are getting our Goats on Sunday and we do have a good barn yard pen to put them in until their pasture is done.. the barn yard pen is about 80 by 80 and is just temporary because it is actually for our mares with new babies and fenced to the ground so foals can't roll out on their moms..

So we are planning on fencing the goats pasture with 4 foot? page wire and then electric along the bottom area? Should we also fence the goats barn yard area with the same???

Going to get our supplies today and get cracking!

Tara

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I would use cattle panels in your barn yard, and for your pasture, 4 ft woven wire fence is good. We used Redbrand goat fence when we fenced in all our pastures, its more expensive but its better to do it right the first time then to have to redo it. The goat fence is woven wire, 4ft high with 4x4 squares so they can't get their heads stuck in it. Then we used wooden fence posts every third post with two t-posts in between for strength :)

3. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Ok so metal panels you are saying for the barn yard? can't they get through the bars on them? We were going to do all wooden posts but we have a million t-posts doing nothing so that is a great tip.. would you them space the wooden post by 30 feet and put the t's in between at 10 feet?

Tara

4. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    I saw someone had all t posts except for the corners in their goat area. Heck I think they even had t posts in the corners using two of them. Check out fias co farms website. I think they used all t posts because of their soil.

5. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have had bad luck with welded wire, just FYI. One of my goats likes to lean into the fencing and rub all over it and the welded wire just isn't strong enough.

Chain link has been my preferred type, but I have a limited amount of space to fence so it hasn't been cost prohibitive...yet.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Cattle panels look like regular fencing with a heavier gage wire. They are also in 4 x 16 sections. The rail sections you are describing are not the same thing. I am thinking these are the tubular sections like round pens would be made from.

My entire goat enclosures are sectioned off with 4ft field fence and the goats have not pulled any of it down. I have one small piece that is loose due to it not being fastened correctly. It will take about 10 minutes to re stretch and put the staples in correctly.

These are cattle panel sections,( I found these pictures by doing a search, not mine but great pictures)

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/Tn ... 19a35f.jpg

These are the rail sections I think you were refering to, or at least I hope they are,

http://www.strongholdmfg.com/fencing.html

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My "yards: are done in goat panels held up with T posts every 4 feet. The goat panels are similar to cattle panels but the squares are a quarter the size....my mini babies can't fit through them. Pasture is free range or 4 strand electric.

8. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Ahh ok that cattle Panel is what they call Pig Panel up here and it comes in a varying square sizes! perfect because we were kind of thinking about those!!

Thanks for all the tips! Off to go pull a bunch of barbed wire down!!

Tara

9. Well, if you have horns in your new goats or herd, the cattle pannel can get your goats heads stuck in so be careful. Also if these are small kids still they can come through the cattle pannel. We use chain link and it is doing fine.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah I use the pig panels too, they work great

for pasture fencing I use woven wire, doesnt rip apart after a year from the goats leaning on it.

11. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    ok thanks again!!!

12. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    Pig panels are just over 3 feet tall cattle panels are just over 4 ft. They also sell horse panels and goat panels in certain part of the country they have smaller openings but cost a whole bunch more. We just put a bunch up and they are easy to put up. We overlaped at the ends and secured to tposts and put a tposts in the middle. Depending on soil conditions and how the goats attack the fence you may need extra post. We bought a 100 ft of 10 gage wire for the fence ties since tpost clips didnt work weel on the joints. If your are concered about the lower openings with kids you can run a wire across to make the opening smaller. For estra protection you could make this a hot wire.

13. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    BTW those panels are not cheap but we do bussiness with TSC and they do offer a bulk discount. 50 panels are in a bundle I think we got a 10% disount for buying the whole bundle same with tposts.

14. rosemary4444

rosemary4444 New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    The most apparent change is that each fencer sits in a wheelchair fastened to a frame. Footwork is replaced by torso or arm movement, depending on the fencer's disability.