Goat Foaming at mouth.Need emergency Help!!

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Rogersfarm, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I woke up this morning to one of my smaller goats foaming at the mouth. I have never seen this and don't know what to do. It is a pretty substancial amount and she is acting fine. I read sometimes it's bloat from eating to much green hay? If someone has any advice help me out I don't wanna lose a goat :sigh:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did she get something caught in her throat?

so you said she is acting fine -- what does that exactly mean? is she eating, pooping, peeing, temp normal, playing with the herd, is she hunched up?

3. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Ok, I just checked on her she is not hunched over. She is walking fine she was on top of a pile of logs stretching out with her back end up in the air and then she went over and nibbled at the protein pail. I think she had bloat and it released? She is not foaming anymore and is walking around fine now. I felt of her abdomen and she feels nice and squishy and is not bloated on either side. I think she must have had build up from the night. She was laying down when I found her and now she seems ok. Should I worry? Does it just pass sometimes or should I go ahead and give her Bloat Release?

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I have never seen foaming at the mouth unless they were choking so I cant really advise you on the bloat release, I have also never used bloat release before. It probably wouldnt hurt her though if you did give it

5. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Well, I kinda overreacted this time I guess. :oops: My husband thinks maybe it's not bloat and she did have something in her throat. Sorry to sound paranoid I didn't want MaryKate to lose her twin Ashley that would be tragic! I will keep my eye on her today and watch her she is a little puny thing so I can see how she can get choked on hay or something. Thanks for your Help!

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hey no problem -- foaming at the mouth isnt something to just bat an eye at so its good to be sure you know whats going on and what to do about it.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad your goat is OK now.... :wink: :greengrin: :hug: