Goat Foaming At Mouth.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Champion Fence Jumpers, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Champion Fence Jumpers

Champion Fence Jumpers Active Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Hi, I am new here so just figuring out things. I have 3 goats. I am just trying to get some advice on my 10 month old Nigerian Dwarf goat. She has been foaming at her mouth for 7 days! Started on Sunday, 2/2/20. She is a little bit bloated but not that big, you can hear gas going up her throat thru her nose/mouth. She is lethargic; her muscles seem weak; she walks slowly and doesn’t really run. Just kinda stands there. Her eyes are sometimes really big. She used to be a lot more energetic. Would climb on me for treats and bleat a lot when I came outside. She bleats here and there but not like before. First day she had this I thought it was frothy bloat. So I treated it as such but I am not sure if frothy bloat can last 7 days!?! First day I gave her baking soda/water mixture and Gas X, and didn’t let her drink water for 12 hours. Over the week I have been giving her baking soda/water, Gas X, Jump Start, activated charcoal (in case she ate something poisonous) and Aspens Bloat Treatment for frothy bloat. I can’t tell if she chews her cud. I am trying to get one of my other goats cud and stick it in her mouth but they keep swallowing it before I can open their mouths. Also I switched to a new hay 3 weeks ago. It is half Coastal and half mixed so it has a lot more weeds then the other hay I was feeding. (I was feeding them just Coastal.) Before this happened I was feeding them alfalfa pellets/pellets/oats mixture almost daily. But as soon as she started this I have only fed them hay and a little bit of oats. Also her poop is clumped together. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I can take pictures of her or whatever you want just ask me!

UPDATE**

Alright so I have been reading about deficiencies in goats and she may have Zinc deficiency. Here is what I have read about it.

“Low Zinc can cause hair loss, diarrhea, constant foot rot, depression, slow healing wounds, sore feet, stiff joints, swollen joints, dermatitis, flaky skin, foaming mouth, miscarriages, and poor appetite. Zinc deficiency affects males much harder than females. It can cause males to be infertile or have low sperm rates, hair loss of the testicles, and even create small testicles. It's often caused by a diet high in alfalfa being fed to “dry” non-milking females or male goats. The addition of Icelandic Kelp will help to maintain and fight against this deficiency, and other Zinc supplements are available.”

The bridge of her nose is balding but I thought that is from her eating her hay through the fence?!?

Her poop is clumped together and not normal, she walks slow and kinda wobbly, foaming at mouth, she doesn’t get has excited about food as she used too, so maybe poor appetite? And her coat seems dull and not full like it’s supposed to be.

Does this sound like a Zinc deficiency?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  2. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    One of my does foams at the mouth sometimes. The first time I saw it I thought it was frothy bloat, but she had no bloat signs. She’s done it a couple of times since then, it just seems to be her.

Since your girl sounds like she’s not feeling well, she’s probably got something else going on. Hopefully someone else can chime in with ideas. Have you asked your vet?

3. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Does the hay have white clover in it?
    What other weeds are in there?

4. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Now that you mention it there may be. I know there is flowers in it which I thought were sunflowers? They could be white clover flowers. I will examine my hay tomorrow and post a picture of the flowers. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Okay, when I went to check on her tonight there was no foam on her mouth. I think it is quite expensive to take her to a vet near me. I could try contacting a vet but I don’t know if they will give advice for free?

6. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Is white clover toxic?

7. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

White clover can cause foaming and all sweet clover types can cause stomach upset if they aren't used to it.

8. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    51225D0A-DA17-43B3-85D1-FD7669F60232.jpeg

These are the flowers that are in the hay. Not sure what kind they are.

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Give Probios.

Is she underweight at all?

What is her FAMACHA score? That's the inner eyelid membrane color. Google if you don't know how to check.

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    If a goat is acting normal but has foam when chewing cud that can happen and it is fine, some goats do it. This does sound different.

11. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    I think she is a little bit underweight. You can feel the top of her back bone a little bit, but not seriously underweight. I have herbs for deworming, such as garlic, thyme, oregano, fennel and pumpkin seeds but wanted to get all of the herbs before I started deworming them. I will go check her eyelids and try to take a picture of them for you.

12. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    My only concern is liver flukes. Do they have any access to standing water (pond, marsh) etc.?

13. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Also is Jump-Start not probiotics? Should I get something else? They do have Goats Prefer Probiotics Power which is a powder. It’s at TSC. They don’t have the paste.

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Jump Start is good enough.

15. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Not a pond but there is some sitting water in their pen from all the rain. They also have their water trough. They have dry shelters and an uphill area that doesn’t have sitting water.

16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    do you get a lot of snails?

17. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    No.

18. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    It is pouring outside so I can’t get a picture of her eyelids right now, but I will when it stops.

19. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    @goathiker you know more about flukes than I, does any of this sound familiar?

20. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Put on a raincoat ;) no picture needed. Just check.