The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions actually. First, how much goat food should I give? I have two Pygmy goats, one is about 35 pounds the other about 45 pounds. I use Goat Noble brand goat food. The bag says feed 1.65 pounds food per 50 pounds. I've been putting out 2 pounds if food every day. They don't eat it all. They have a large lush green yard and trees and brush to eat in plenty if supply.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hit send before I finished. Anyway. An I putting out too much? Second question is I have a vacation place with seven acres of fenced woods and a large pond. If I took them up there with us when we go would I need to feed bag food or will the abundance of vegetation be okay for them while we are there with them?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Since you have lots of green for the goats, I wouldn't worry about them not eating much of the noble goat feed. Depending on their condition, age, and if they are milking/nursing, pregnant...etc, some goats don't need the extra feeds other than hay, minerals and water. I would probably bring some goat feed along. You never know if you'd need it. Sounds like a great vacation area for the goats too. Don't forget lots of fresh water and goat minerals.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I always keep a fresh bowl of water out for all the critters. I change it everyday even though they drink from the pond anyway, silly critters. I even put the fresh clean water right next to the pond and the critters stil drink the pond water. On minerals. I have a salt block I have put out for them for when ever they need it. Do they need any other thing? I remembering hearing someone say something about goats needing a lot of cooper? Did I hear that right?

Sent from my iPad using GoatSpot

·
1,524 Posts
Goats need loose minerals. The salt block is just salt, no added minerals. Even the mineral blocks don't contain much in the way of minerals needed, plus it is very rough on their tongue. Just get an 8 pound bag if Mannapro goat minerals, most places sell those. That should last you quite a while with 2 little goats.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
If these guys are just pets, they really don't need much grain. I wouldn't give them more than a cup or so per day.

A quality loose goat mineral is much more important for them to have than the feed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a Pygmy about 30lbs and a nigerian dwarf. I also was asking around what to feed, they HATE that manna pro mineral so be cautious bc now I have 8lb bag for nothing, I'd go with the sweetlix meat maker they love it. Also they definitely don't require grain at all, alfalfa pellets are perfect as something to feed along with their pasture.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I will look into the minerals. They are pets and spoiled rotten too! I want these little darlings to have the very best I can give them. I will call my local feed & seed and see what they have.

Sent from my iPad using GoatSpot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts