The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If you are interested in mixing your own here's a great recipe that I got off this site.....I was feeding a sweet feed mixed with corn but my goats weren't really liking it......so I changed it to this...

6 parts rolled oats
2 parts calf manna
2 parts BOSS
1 part beet pulp
You mix all that up and then mix one part of the "mix" to 3 parts of alfalfa pellets.....my goats LOVE this and they are doing really well on it.

image-976574438.jpg

This is what it looks like ready to feed :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If you are interested in mixing your own feed I have been feeding my goats this recipe for the last 3 months and they are doing really well on it.....I got this recipe from this site

6 parts rolled oats
2 parts calf manna
2 parts BOSS
1 part beet pulp

You mix all that together and then you add 1 part of the "mix" to 3 parts alfalfa pellets.

image-1744971927.jpg

This is what it looks like all mixed up and ready to feed.......I was feeding a sweet feed mixed with corn before and my goats were leaving it. They just didn't really like it......now they can't wait to eat and they are in great shape!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Didn't mean to post it twice!!! I don't have great service at my house so it can be hit or miss!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Does eney one have eney sugestions on goat food?
Well, I would start with either a good quality hay or a adequately sized pasture of suitable grass, browse, weeds, or some combination of the above. Depending on whether they are mature, pregnant, nursing, kids, weaning kids, yearlings, or milking goats I would add a suitable grain that supported their production stage. A little more information would be helpful in determining what their plane of nutrition should be made up of. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All of r goats r use as pets we r thinking about milking r nanny. But about how much of that mixture would u use for to small goat. Niether is more than 20 pound

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Your doe will need to be bred and give birth before you can milk her.

I wouldn't feed more than a cup or two of feed if they are just pets. Hay and loose minerals should be the most important.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
All of r goats r use as pets we r thinking about milking r nanny. But about how much of that mixture would u use for to small goat. Niether is more than 20 pound
A 20 lb goat should still be nursing his/her mother and will be eating only about 1-2 lbs of hay. For an adult, standard sized goat, 5 lbs of hay per day would be where I would start. Keep an eye on her and if she starts looking hollowed out in front of the hip bones, increase her hay by 1 lb increments. I don't feed grain, and I never feed more than 1 lb of alfalfa in addition to full hay per day. Start out slow with grain or pellets - 1/4 to 1/2 lb per day and increase by 1/4 lb after 3-4 days. Since you are looking to milk your doe once she becomes big enough to breed and delivers kids, I might feed her 2-3 lbs of pellets or grain per day. Again, start slow and increase gradually. I have no experience with milking dairy goats, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts