Goat Founder

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kornhypknotic, Mar 31, 2010.

1. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Last week a nice woman asked if I would come out a trim her goat's hooves. One spanish/boer doe she was worried about in particular. This doe got into a mess of alfalfa hay and a ton of sheep grain feed about 3 weeks ago.

When I went to trim her hooves she had been walking on her knees and had the 'platform heels' characteristic of founder. I gave her a very close trim and said that I would come out again this week to trim her. We couldn't catch her yesterday (she remembers me :laugh: ) but I could see that her condition has not changed much. The woman told me that the day after I trimmed her she looked better, but every subsequent day she has shown no improvement (walking on her knees, limping, etc.).

At this point I told her to call a vet to see how much damage the founder has caused to the bones of the fore hooves (the rear hooves appear normal and don't seem to bother her).

I assume that the vet will say regular hoof trimming will be the most helpful, but does anyone here have any experience treating foundered goats?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I don't have one with founder(thought that occurred in horses), however I do have one with a bad case of hoof rot. I have been trimming his hooves every other week a little at a lime. I was cautioned that if I trimmed too much too fast it would not allow his tendons to stretch correctly and cause a lot of pain.

3. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Yes, founder can occur in any hooved animal. The medical term is "laminitis" which just means a swelling of the lamina of the hoof.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    once she is doiwn on her knees like that they rarely recover 100%

5. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Is it possible to get her to recover so that she's not suffering for her entire life?

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the only goat I had founder never recovered so I dont know if its possible. She lived her life on her knees

7. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    The woman is very worried that her goat is suffering because she walks on her knees all the time. Do you think they can live happy lives even with founder? Any medications or supplements to improve their hoof health?