goat gave birth to premmie twins..

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by babe817, Jun 3, 2008.

1. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    my boer gave birth to premmie twins 2day. they had no fur, 1 buck 1 doeling.. ive been upset about it..but theres a few things i want to know. what may have caused this? the doe seems abit down more quite.. i feel so sorry for her... anyway

2. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    sorry to hear about the premmies. :grouphug: I hope everyone is doing ok

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sorry for your loss. :hug: :(

Theres a lot of things that may have caused it. She might have been head butted in the side. How far along was she?
    Try giving her some nutri drench and b-complex if you have it. You can also give her some molasses water.

I had this happen to one of my girls, trip boys. They had no hair as well. She was three months along.

4. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    well the people we go tthe goats off didnt know her due date.. we thought she was almost fullterm. she was huge and had nice little udder coming along. but yeh. im saying she must of had 6 weeks or so. poor girl. i wish i could know what happened... she semmed fine.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep, I agree with runaround, she could of been head butted, or is it possible that she got into something? There are lots of different things that cause a goat to abort. Just know that it was just nature taking over and there was nothing that you could of done to prevent this. :hug:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh my I am so sorry :tears:

Did you let her see them and grieve over them? She needs to know they died and let her spend like an hour with them and then take them to bury them. THis will really help her with her grieving. yes goats do grieve.

I had a doe who had a still born this year and it took her a couple days to get over her grief. She adopted another little doeling from one of the other does (didnt nurse her) and mothered her and followed her around everywhere.

So if you have other kids let her be with them as this will help her move on.

Give the doe, some nutri drench, calcium, & molasses water. Keep an eye on her temp.

Again I am so sorry :hug:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry! She was either butted very hard or it was just natures way of saying that they would not have been born healthy. I too agree with Stacey, let the doe know that they are gone...I do hope she had chance to see them..and give her Nutri drench as well as a bit of warm molasses water...she'll pick up in a few days, just watch her for signs of illness. She is grieving her loss and will be fine in a few days, if you have other babies around, let her be near them. :hug:

8. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    I am so sorry for your families loss. It is never easy for the people or the doe. :hug: Keep us posted about how your doe is doing.

Suellen

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry for your loss, it is always hard :hug:

Give her B complex and molasses water, she is more than likely somewhat depressed from losing the kids. Were the kids mummified at all? Meaning did they appear rotten looking or anything? If they were, your doe is going to need antibiotics. I am just checking because if she has a uterine infection she would be acting down also.

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I'm so sorry! I do hope your doe is ok. Sounds like everyone's already given you great advice. Good luck. :hug:

11. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    There are also a lot of infections that can cause abortions-chlamydia, listeriosis,Toxoplasmosis, etc.
    There are things that they eat that can cause this too- a friend has abortions caused by flixweed in her hay.

If she does have an infection, that may account for her not feeling well too.

Have you done temperatures on her?

Sometimes it seems strange that they can have these problems so infrequently when so much can go wrong.

It is so sad to lose kids. I hope that she is doing better now.