Goat genetics and size?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by chad3006, Apr 22, 2010.

1. chad3006

chad3006 New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    TX
    I’ve been reading up on goat genetics lately, trying to get a handle on what kind of things to expect when breeding. I’ve learned that not a lot is known about goat genetics yet. So, I thought I’d ask for any information members may have on the subject.

Specifically, I’m interested in goat size. Obviously breeding larger framed goats will lead to larger framed kids, but I’ve noticed some unexpected results from time to time (actually pretty regularly.) For example: a borrowed full blood boer billy bred this puny (pet) nannie we have and she had a pair of really nice, thick kids. Then for the second year in a row this hoss of a nannie we have has had thin kids from the same billy. Also, some puny looking kids grow into nice goats and vice versa. These are just a few examples we’ve noticed.

Long story short, I’m struggling to get some consistency. I’m not interested in growing the biggest goats, I’d just like to get a consistently more square-framed goat.

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Ummm in goats there is no such thing as consistancy. Even with the same pair there are changes from year to year, breeding to next breeding.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yes, when I changed my bucks, the kid size changed right along with the buck, but there's always exceptions!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Unfortunately...there is no guarantees.. on what will come out each kidding....all the bloodlines(genetics) of a goats pedigree...have a chance to appear... even color genetics are in there...as well as flaws...size....ect..... you may get an odd color ...and think......where did that come from... :scratch: it's like a box of chocolates ...you never know what you are going to get.... :wink: :greengrin:

5. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I have to agree with them too, I breed same doe to same buck and can get some very diverse kids!
    Nice Forrest Gump drop lol :ROFL: Love that

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yep & some lines are a little slower growing than others. One yr I had a stocky short necked doe. One of the associations didnt like her & the other did (I loved her)
    Anyhow I sold her & she now has a longer neck as a full grown doe.
    Last season we used a buck that carries great genetics with lots of length & got super long off-spring.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Thanks...HeHe.. :wink: :laugh:

8. Genetics are so much more complicated then you know. I have to tell you that is one of the many great things about breeding goats you simply never know what you are going to get. Kinda like Christmas every time. Now you can take the finest two animals and get the worst kids and vis versa. Then you can have a doe breed to 5 different bucks and produce a champ every time. I do know a Dr of genetics that I can give you the contact for if you have some questions. Email me and I will be happy to give that too you if you are interested.