The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pygmy Goat Owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 10 year old pygmy doe has been showing a udder since August. The vet andmy goat expert friends say they think it is a "false pregnancy". Theguess is that it is due to hormonal changes. Kind of like human"menopause". She is coming into heat as well. She looks good, eating,acting mostly normal... She has never been interested in the bucks until now..and when we let her out with the other does she acts bucky towards them… Then shewill go flirt with the bucks.. then go back and flirt with the girls.

My vet says the information she has is all on young breeding age does. Myfriends also have no experience with geriatric goats.. since they are breedersand sell the goats that they don't need. I could also not find any informationonline.

Has anyone had an older doe do this? How long did it last? What other "goatgeriatric" things have you experienced?

Thanks guys! We want to do the best we can for our grandma goat.

·
Super Moderator
58,493 Posts
Eventually she should go out of heat. If Pygmies are seasonal breeders, then she should come out of it by December I would think.

·
Pygmy Goat Owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is normal for an older goat to stay in heat for so long? I want to saythe heat part started around October 7th.. I am not sure it is a real heat.Don't see any discharge.. But she is talking, flagging, and flirting.

The udder has been "full" since August.. Do you know if it willall just stop all at once and she will go back to normal? (normal as in nocycles and udder back up where it should be)

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
She could be cystic... meaning that her ovaries are cystic causing the prolonged or repeated heats.
I have a 12 1/2 year old pygmy/nigerian doe who still has regular cycles so it's likely not age related as I have a 3 year old who is showing sign of being cystic.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,075 Posts
My older doe of 6 yrs seemed to cyle forever! Eternally in heat! We'll see if she comes back in now that she's bred ...

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
The full udder could be part of the hormonal imbalance that causes a doe to become cystic, my 12 year old has been dry now for over 2 years...she had her last freshening at age 8 and I kept her in milk for 2 years before drying her off, she never bagged up again and her cycles are regular though she's been retired.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts