Goat Gestation program

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by chad3006, Apr 23, 2010.

1. chad3006

chad3006 New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    TX
    Here’s a link (http://www.phillipsarts.com/myfiles/GoatCalc.zip) to a computer program I made a while back. It’s primarily for meat goats, but anyone may find it handy.

It’s free and you can share it if you want. It should work in Windows 95 through Windows 7. I know it works on XP and 7. Just download the zipped folder and extract it to your desktop (or wherever you like) and double click the GoatCalculator.exe inside the GoatCalc folder. If you decide you don’t want it, just dump the whole folder into your Recycle bin and it’s gone.

The program should be fairly straightforward. You should probably know that the “bring in the billy” choice is for anyone (like me) who keeps their billy offsite until breeding time. It gives the billy 3 weeks to get the nannies in season. The rest of you who keep their billy around all year can probably just ignore that part.

Also, for those of you who don’t already know it, ADG is average daily gain, for Boers it averages about .5 lbs/day and for Spanish it’s about .33 lbs/day. I’ve heard of some people getting much higher numbers for their ADG, but I’ve never had anything over about .47. This number is ideally calculated at 90 days of age. Just take a guess if you don’t know it, the program has plenty of “wiggle room” anyway.

I used it this year and it came out pretty close to right for me. Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement or would like to add some feature of something.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hey that's pretty cool! :thumb:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is neat...thanks... :greengrin: :thumbup: