Goat Gossip 70

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sealawyer, Jun 26, 2009.

1. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Hi Folks, Here's the latest goat gossip, enjoy!

6/23/2009

Goat Gossip 70

Big Show, Big Thanks!

Goodness sakes alive, what a week! The Freestone Co. Fair goat shows get more entries every year and it seems as though Superintendent Zack Newman and his assistant Russell Gilbreath get busier every year as they try to keep track of the entire goings on. Big thank you to Zack and Russell and all of the volunteers who make the shows work. Big thanks to all of the Ag teachers, 4H and FFA adult leaders who keep track of all the youngsters and their animals. I surely wouldn’t be able to keep track of all of the things that they are responsible for, what with the youngsters, parents, and animals all vying for their attention. Big thanks to all of the youngsters and their parents for all of their hard work in putting some fine entries in the shows. Your participation is important to all of us. You’re durned tootin’ it is, we sell our goats to you all for your show projects and if you aren’t satisfied, then we’re not doing our raising right! Big thanks to you all and if I forgot anyone, then I apologize ahead of time.
    The goat shows got kicked off on Tuesday with the breeding goat show as 32 entries were competing in 5 divisions. After the dust finally settled, Victoria Suits of Eagle Country 4H took the Grand Champion Buckle with a yearling doe. Victoria also won the Senior Showmanship buckle. Congratulations Victoria! Carol Pingleton took home the Reserve Grand Champion Buckle with a yearling doe. Samantha Winkler won the Junior Showmanship Buckle. Congratulations Carol and Samantha!
    Thursdays Market goat show set a record in participants with 69 entries in seven weight classes. The Grand and Reserve were awarded out of the same heavy-middleweight class and Gwen said the Judge, Michael Hunter had a really hard time deciding who to pick in the class that eventually took the buckles! Jaelan Gilbreath of the Fairfield FFA, who is also a scholarship recipient from the FCGBA, won the Grand Champion Buckle with an 85 pound entry. Way to go Jaelan! Rachel Tugwell of the Dew 4H won Reserve Grand Champion with an 86 pound entry. Rachel, who is the daughter of fellow FCGBA member James Tugwell, won 4 buckles with her goat and sheep entries. Congratulations to Rachel and fine job in winning your awards! Cory Black of the Fairfield FFA won the Senior Showmanship Buckle with a heavy weight wether and Whitnee Stroade of the Freestone 4H won the Junior Showmanship Buckle with light-heavyweight entry. Congratulations to Cory and Whitnee and thank you for the fine demonstrations of your skills!
    Now to the big announcement! Miss Victoria Suits of Eagle Country 4H won the in-county bred goat buckle and was awarded a $250 jackpot by the Freestone Co. members of the FCGBA. Victoria won the award with the same 63 pound fancy doe bred by Russell Gilbreath that won the breeding class Grand Champion! She had a really good payday as she earned another $1800 at the premium sale on Saturday! Congratulations Victoria and thank you for purchasing your goat from an FCGBA member! All contestants that had an in county bred goat were awarded halters for their participation.
    This last February when I realized that our FCGBA members couldn’t provide an adequate amount of show wethers for our Spring Pen Sale, I sent out an e-mail to my fellow goat breeders in Texas and other parts of the country asking if anyone had some wethers that were the right age, could I get them for our sale to sell on consignment. The only reply I got was from Ms. Jennifer Newton of Figbar Farms in southeast Kansas. She said she was bringing a load of goats down to a sale in Cameron, Texas and she could drop some off for our sale. Jennifer dropped off 6 wethers with Gwen and we hoped for the best. Folks, the Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion Market Goats were 2 of Jennifer’s goats! Russell and James bought their daughters goats at the FCGBA sale and we sold 3 more at Russell’s private treaty sale in March that also made the premium sale. Evidently Ms. Newton raises some fine goats in Kansas! You can contact Jennifer by going to her web site at www.figbarfarms.com.
    Jaelan Gilbreath’s success at the shows last week and at the previous fairs has finished Rose and Russell Gilbreath’s children’s participation in the Freestone Co. Fair goat shows. The Gilbreath family has had participants in the fair goat shows for 24 years! Congratulations to Rose and Russell and thank you for all of your efforts for the youth of Freestone County!
    Ms. Rose says that it would take an Act of Congress to get Russell to quit up his goats and volunteering at the fair. The goat business in Freestone Co. would become awfully mundane if he did quit, so keep at it Russell, we enjoy your participation. Besides, the grandbabies will be coming along wanting their Pawpaw to teach them all about goats!
    The next FCGBA meeting is on July 14th at 7 p.m. at the Freestone Co. Courthouse in Fairfield. The fine citizens of Anderson, Freestone, Henderson, Leon, Limestone, and Navarro counties are invited to join our association. Our Fall Production Sale will be on September 26th. If you anticipate joining the association and participating in the sale you must join before July 28th in order to sell your goats in the sale. Rules apply that say you must be a member 60 days before a sale in order to sell animals. Go to www.freestonecountygoats.org to learn more about the association.
    The Agrilife Extension Services of Nacogdoches & Angelina Co. is having a Field Day at Great Entertainment Farms in Douglass on July 18th (Saturday). The agenda is “Making Small Acreage Profitable in East Texas”. Topics will include Livestock Species for Small Acreage, Fencing and Facilities for Small Acreage, Marketing Livestock on Small Acreage, and Forages for Small Acreage. To register or for more information contact the Angelina County Extension Office at (936) 632-8239, or Fax: (936) 634-6472, e-mail http://angelina-tx.tamu.edu or the Nacogdoches County Extension Office at (936) 560-7711, or Fax: (936) 560-7894. E-mail http://nacogdoches-tx.tamu.edu . Jerry and Diana Payne are hosting this event at their farm in Douglass on July 18th (Saturday) from 9am until noon or so. They have a large shady carport for the group discussion/lecture so attendees can bring a lawn chair. The farm is located 3
    miles south of highway 21 just off FM 225 on CR 785. Highway 21 goes between Nacogdoches and Crockett. Call Ms. Diana at 936-715-9811 for directions or if you get lost so that she can put out a trail of goat pellets out for you.
    The North East Texas Goat Raisers Assn. is proud to announce their 5th Annual Sizzlin’ Summer Boer Goat Show on July 25th and 26th at the Hunt Co. Fairgrounds in Greenville, by God Texas. The Judges will be Randy Harp on Saturday and Cheryl Wright on Sunday. They are gonna have all kinds of fancy schmancy prizes like buckles and show leads and stuff and raffles for some good goat gear, so pack up the Family Truckster and plan on attending and showin’ them goats! Go to www.netgra.com or e-mail netgra@netgra.com or phone Lyndie Mansfield at 903-945-3644 or Brandy Jordan at 509-760-9750 for more information about the show, meeting, or the association
    That’s all I have for now, if you have any goat gossip then phone 903-388-8528 or e-mail clwyer@gmail.com, Bye, for now.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup: great job... :greengrin:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sounds like everyone had a great show!

4. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Pam & Katrina, Do you all have local county fair market wether shows? Breed shows? I know that there are a lot of natural obstacles that Katrina has to overcome, what with the weather and distances she has to transport her goats, but many fairs will let breeders have space to demonstrate their animals. We had a lady who rented pen space for a $25 donation to the Fair to show off her nubians and gave milking demo's and offered samples of cheeses, milk, and even some ice cream at the fair. She is a fellow FCGBA member and every one kinda hung out and lended a hand throughout the fair!

You all will hafta excuse me, I'm the resident big mouth of the Freestone Co. Goat Breeders Assn. and I'm all about promoting the goat. So if I tend to sound like a used car salesman, then let me apologize ahead of time!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    we have the ABGA boer shows at our local county fair..... :wink: :greengrin:
    I know...LOL....4 hoof drive, dual horns on certain models, ect... :D