Goat Gossip 88

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sealawyer, Aug 21, 2010.

1. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    3/25/2010

Goat Gossip 88

It’s Showtime!

Most of the Counties in Eastern Texas are gearing up for the upcoming shows. 4-H and FFA clubs are packing up, loading up and getting gone to the local Youth Expos and County Fairs. Gwen and I had the opportunity to attend the Navarro County Youth Exposition Meat Goat Show on Tuesday, March 23rd. I’ll just make the observation that they had a lot of goats! 198 show wethers and does were shown in ten classes. The animals could be either dehorned or horned but tipped. Many youth shows and fairs allow horned or dehorned animals (I’m not going to express my opinion, but folks who know me know my feelings on this subject!) and many times horned goats will place well in every weight class, but folks, if you want to allow your Youngsters to experience winning their class and possibly Grand Champion or Reserve Grand Champion then buy them a goat that is dehorned or dehorn the goats that you provide for them. The folks that are judging the youth shows today prefer dehorned goats, plain and simple, so make sure your youngster leads a naturally polled or dehorned goat into the show ring.
    I would like to say thanks and fine job to all of the Adult Leaders, Ag Teachers, Youngsters, and especially the Parents in Navarro County for their fine efforts at the show. They have some great show stock and strong Showmen and Show Ladies coming up in Navarro County. We had a chance to see James Bonner of Mildred 4-H, Nicholas Barlow of Mildred FFA, and Ronnie Perry of Mildred FFA show some of our stock. Thanks to these fine Young Men for their efforts.
    On to the winners! Anna Calhoun won Grand Champion with a 105 pound entry in class nine. Anna also won Reserve Grand Champion with a 98 pound entry in class eight. Congratulations Anna! Junior Grand Showmanship was won by Nathan Griffin of Corsicana FFA. Second Junior Showmanship was won by Cody Carroll of Collins Catholic School Discovery 4-H. Third Junior Showmanship was won by Tara Wallis of Frost 4-H. Grand Senior Showmanship was won by Anna Calhoun of Blooming Grove FFA. Second Senior Showmanship was won by Zeb Thomas of Blooming Grove FFA. Third Senior Showmanship was won by Audra Springer of Mildred 4-H. Judge Marty Gibbs of Ballinger had his work cut out for him while going through classes with up to 24 animals at a time. Thanks to Mr. Gibbs for his fine efforts. I would like to thank CEA J. D. Scasta and the staff and ring officials for their efforts in putting on a fine show.
    The Dynamic Dozens of the Dew 4-H would like to invite everyone to the Tugwell Classic Goat & Sheep Showing Clinic. The Tugwell Classic will be held at the Ike Carden Arena in Fairfield, Texas on May 8th beginning at 9:00am. Mr. Nick Hoffman will present a Quality Counts session at the end of the show for all Freestone county 4-Hers who still need to attend one. We will have a short, informative "goat talk" and answer as many questions as possible before beginning our Clover Kid, Jr. and Sr. Goat Showmanship classes. As always, this is a freebie, practice-type event. We do have one class that is $5.00 per head; it's our adult class where anything goes!! We have found that this is great fun and helps Dew 4-H recoup some of the cost of the trophies. If anyone is able, they can contact the Freestone County Extension Office at 903-389-3436 and sign up for the Classic ahead of time. That helps us estimate what we need. It is estimated that everyone who attends will have an enjoyable time!
    The next big event for the Freestone County Goat Breeders Association will be our membership meeting on Tuesday, April 13 at 7 p.m. at the Freestone County Courthouse in Fairfield, Texas. Our meetings are open to the general public and we invite the good citizens of Anderson, Freestone, Henderson, Leon, Limestone, and Navarro Counties to visit and join our organization if it fits you. To find out more about our Association go to
    www.freestonecountygoats.org and see what we are all about.
    The next announced East Texas Goat Raisers Assn. event is the General Membership Meeting - April 24, at 10 am at ETGRA property on highway 69 south of Jacksonville. The property is on the east side of the highway two driveways north of the Dialville exit. Signs will be posted at the property. Please bring your own lunch. There will be an educational program prior to lunch and the meeting. The13th Annual Boer Goat Show will be on May 1st. Two shows on one Day!! The Judges are Chris Shoffitt and Joetta Boyd. Contact Danette & Curtis Shoemaker – 936-867-2068 for more information or go to http://www.etgra.com/index.htm to get details on events.
    Speaking of events, the NETGRA will be having a Field Day Saturday, April 17th. Saturday, May 8th they will have their General Meeting with a Round Table discussion and dinner. July 24th & 25th they will have the 6th Annual Sizzlin’ Summer Boer Goat shows. Go to http://netgra.com for details on these events.
    Ms. Jan Wesson of Dunroamin’ Boer Goats http://dunroaminboergoats.com/index.html would like me to pass on that the Southeast Arkansas Goat Producers Association will be having their Spring Fling Boer Goat Shows in Pine Bluff, Arkansas on Saturday, April 11th and Sunday April 12th. Saturday’s ABGA sanctioned shows kick off at 9 a.m. with Kip Brown of Mississippi judging. Show 2 starts after lunch with Phil Stacey of Oklahoma judging. Show 3 starts at 9 a.m. on Sunday with Ron Dilley of Oklahoma judging. Jan says the ultrasound machine will be available and lunch will be provided for a small donation on both days. Go to the Association’s web site at http://www.southeastarkansasgoatproduce ... shows.html for more info on the shows and entry information and forms.
    . Ms. Robin Walters of Bar None Meat Goats www.barnonemeatgoats.com asked me to post the following announcement about the 2010 Lone Star Belt Buckle Series:
    Our first set of shows in Cuero TX will be April 24-25. There will be 2 shows Saturday & one Sunday. Saturday we will have a youth showmanship between the two shows. Judges will be John Edwards, Bob Duke, and Eddie Holland (as you all know Eddie has been selected as one of the National show judges). We give prizes for class winners, overall grand & reserve for both shows Saturday. Sunday is a point show only. If the goat shows in both shows Saturday we only charge you $10 for Sundays show per head.
    At the end of the 3 sets of shows (April, August, & October) we will give away 9 belt buckles. For more information, location map, & rules go to
    http://www.barnonemeatgoats.com/2010. html We had a great turnout last year, and a very competitive show. Come join the fun. Future judges will be posted as they are contracted.
    Well, Spring has sprung and I do believe that we are past the last frost of the winter season. This promises to be a wet but green Spring so I believe that once we start to get some warmer days that the stomach parasites and coccidia problems will bloom out so keep a close eye on your herds and treat them as needed. If you see a goat traveling slow when they get turned out in the morning then grab them up and check and treat them. Don’t wait till later because it may be too late! Watch for hoof problems. Provide an ounce of prevention, Folks! Thank you all for reading the goat gossip and your support of the FCGBA and your area Goat Breeder Associations. Call me at 903-388-8528 or e-mail [email protected] if you have any goat gossip. Bye, for now.