Goat Gossip 95

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sealawyer, Aug 21, 2010.

1. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    7/8/2010

Goat Gossip 95

Herd selection is an important factor when raising goats

If you want to see what a real hot button issue is on a goat ranch just listen in on a conversation that Gwen and I have on which goats get to stay and which goats go on the meat load. My dear, darling Hunny Bunny can go from a happy, placid Lady to Attila the Culler in a New York Second!
    This one doesn’t suit her taste. This one hasn’t had a decent kid in a year (it doesn’t matter that she had one of the best last year!). This one always has triplets so they are always small. This one has a bottle nipple and the kids don’t like to feed on that side (they eventually do feed on the nipple, but still a big no-no!). The list goes on and on!
    Me, I’m a more is better type of guy. If a nanny has her kids without any problems, takes good care of them, and keeps them alive and thriving on a little bit of feed and the good forage we have at the rancho then it’s all good. If a nanny has good mothering instincts, kids easily, and we don’t have to put a whole lot of inputs into her then she’s good by my books. We will make money off of the kids one way or another.
    We have a number of cross-bred nannies that were from some long haired milk goat breed that we used some years back. At the time we used them we were just trying to increase our numbers and weren’t too picky about the looks of the goats. They have produced a lot of good wethers and doelings and are easy keepers. Those girls had better toe the line and come out with some great offspring because A the C has her eyes set for them! Me? They come from good meat goat blood lines and have put kids on the ground that sold or we have retained for breeding so I can live with them.
    I guess you could say that we both are right. Attila the Culler wants to get rid of the does that put too many kids on the ground that are small or she wants to cull nannies that don’t fit her standards or produce offspring that do. Me? I like does that produce and we don’t have to spend much time or money helping them have kids and then keeping them alive. I like it when we clean the kids, give them their inoculations, feed the nanny and go on our merry way. I would prefer spending my time working on the rancho, improving pastures and fixing on stuff and taking Mongo and Fang on 4-wheeler runs in the evening and not spend time on medicating and tending to sickly goats.
    We are improving the genetics and looks of our herd slowly, but surely, and the goats that Gwen doesn’t like will eventually be sent on the meat load, but I feel that as long as they are producing then let them be and let them have kids. The battle continues!
    The Freestone County Goat Breeders Association holds their meetings at the Freestone County Courthouse in Fairfield, Texas. Our meetings are open to the general public and we invite the good citizens from anywhere in the Great State of Texas to visit and join our organization if it fits you. To find out more about our Association go to www.freestonecountygoats.org and see what we are all about. . It has been decided, and this is an important announcement, to open up our membership roles to any resident in the state of Texas who cares to join! We would like to welcome any of ya’ll fellow Texans who would care to join our association.
    Have you always wanted to get in the goat show ring, but are not sure what to do or how to prepare? Do you think you have the next grand champion but need help getting them in the ring? Maybe you are looking for your next doe or market weather prospect to transport you to the winners circle. Perhaps you would just like to enhance your herd with good breeding stock but are having trouble locating or selecting the right animals. The ETGRA Spectacular Goat Showdown and Sale is the event that will answer all those questions and give you an opportunity to hone your showmanship skills in a stress-free and enjoyable environment. In addition, if you are looking to purchase prospect animals to continue or start showing goats, the pen sale that follows the show will encompass a great variety and number of all types of goats sure to fit most any situation. The East Texas Goat Raisers Association is proud to present the first ever, all breed prospect jackpot show and pen sale, July 24, 2010 in Henderson, TX at the Rusk County Youth Exposition Center. For more info call Curtis and Danette Shoemaker (936)867-2068 or email Rene McCracken at [email protected]
    or go to www.etgra.com for info on the events, shows or association.
    The North East Texas Goat Raisers Association will have the 6th Annual Sizzlin’ Summer Boer Goat shows July 24th & 25th at the Hunt County Fairgrounds in Greenville. The will be awarding show leads for Division Prizes and Buckles for Overall winners. They are also giving some pretty good discounts on the entry fees for members and others. The judges for NETGRA's 6th Annual Sizzlin' Summer Shows are Glen Martin on Saturday, July 24th and Eddie Holland on Sunday, July 25th. Go to http://netgra.com for details on these shows.
    The Cuero Summer Blast will be held Saturday & Sunday, August 14-15, 2010 in Cuero, Texas. There will be two shows on Saturday and one on Sunday!
    Entry deadline is at 8 am on show day, entry fees are $20 per head per show.
    Check in date is Friday, 8/13/10 from 6-9 pm and from 7-8 am on show day.
    Location is the Friar Ag Center on Industrial Blvd. Judges is as follows: Open Show 1-Ray Bolinger Open Show 2- Kyle Strickland Open Show 3- Robert Washington. For more info call Robin Walters (830)305-0161 or email: [email protected]
    or visit them on the web at http://www.barnonemeatgoats.com/2010shows.html
    West Texas Fair and Rodeo Boer Goat Show, Saturday, September 11, 2010, Abilene, Texas. Entry deadline: AUGUST 16, $15 per head. Check in date: Friday, 9/10/10, 3-9 pm. Location: Taylor County Expo Center, 1700 Hwy. 36. FMI: Rochelle Johnson (325) 677-4376, email: [email protected] Web: www.taylorcountyexpocenter.com
    Well, I hope that ya’ll have gotten all of the rain that you have needed lately. With these heavy rains come the heavy worm loads, coccidia, and Overeaters cases. Learn the symptoms of these conditions and keep the medications on hand to treat them. The internet is a great place to find info about goats and things about goats. If you need help give me a call. That’s all I’ve got for now. Please support your favorite local, area, or national goat breeders associations. Call me at 903-388-8528 or e-mail [email protected] if you have any goat gossip or want to chat. Bye, for now.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Gotta say those trips at weaning time should be about a third of the weight of the dam.
    Heck one time one of the quads out of a two teated doe got supplemented. By weaning time that guy was just as big as his sibs. A yr & a half later he is a huge wether.

Thanks for the Goat Gossip catch up!