The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to goats, brought two home June. They are the best little guys ever and I love them so much!

They free range in the pasture and get Timothy Hay to supplement and a handful or two of cracked corn at night to get them in bed. (They will eat the duck and goose food so I house them separately at night so I can feed without worry).

Yesterday I went in and saw that the corn bag was laying on the floor and it was emptied. It was probably 1/4 or less full.

One of my guys now has a noticeably full belly and has been acting off. He isn't coming out as often and isn't as playful. He is eating but I'm still concerned. I haven't seen any diarrhea. Should I take him to the vet or just give him baking soda? Should I offer oil (vegetable or mineral?)?

I appreciate any advise!

·
Fair-Haven
4,728 Posts
If you have CDT antitoxin (not the vaccine but the antitoxin) give him that. Also, I would give milk of magnesia at the rate of 15cc per 60 pounds. Absolutely if you are worried always consult your vet.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
CD antitoxin, MOM. Get a rectal temp.

Would also do precautionary ammonium chloride or cranberry and vitamin c drenches and watch his peeing.

Probiotics and vitamin b injections.

Get rid of the corn altogether, it's not healthy. Use hay pellets or a 2:1 goat pellet. Nothing sweet, no corn.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Pull water for tonight. Water will expand the corn and make it worse. Milk of magnesia as mentioned asap...cd antitoxin asap. Cd antitoxin is hard to find..not available in many farm store..might call your vet to see if they have any or a goat friend.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts