The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cowboy got his hind leg tangled in rope just above joint My so found him hanging with two front legs on ground off chicken coup. Treating wound for infection. He will not put any weight on leg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My concern is the leg did not have blood flow for at least an hour. How do you tell if the lower part is getting blood flow?

·
Super Moderator
31,759 Posts
If there is no blood flow the leg will be cold feeling...if its not broke...messaging will help restore the flow...use a peppermint balm of some sort ..
If there is swelling, banamine will help with that and pain..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If there is no blood flow the leg will be cold feeling...if its not broke...messaging will help restore the flow...use a peppermint balm of some sort ..
If there is swelling, banamine will help with that and pain..
The lower part of leg below the wound is cold to touch compared to to healthy leg Thanks for info

·
Registered
886 Posts
One of my does got tangled during winter. I missed a piece of baling twine somehow when giving them their hay, which is one thing I've always been paranoid about with the goats and the horses, so I don't know how I missed it. Well of course she found a way to get tangled up and had her leg hanging for who knows how long before I found her. I gave her some banamine and some probios to help her feel a little better. Poor thing didn't walk on it for a few weeks. Then once she started putting weight on it again, favored it for about three months and had a slight limp. She is all healed up now though, runs and plays and bounces around on it just fine. I hope your boy gets to feeling better, just do what you can to help with the pain. A little bit of banamine and some extra TLC will go a long way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read aspirin to help with pain? Anyone know if that is ok to give. He is feeling better moving around more still not himself

·
Super Moderator
31,759 Posts
you can give an adult apsirin or two baby chewables...reg. aspirin......
is he eating and drinking well? pooping and peeing??

·
1,524 Posts
Aspirin might help with the blood flow problem, since it thins the blood. Keep massaging, as suggested to see if you can get life back into that leg. Keep him moving around too, that will help the circulation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help. He is eating and urinating drinking water ect. His poop is normal. 100 times better today although still dragging leg beenmassaging the leg. Did give an aspirin hoping for clean recovery

·
Super Moderator
31,759 Posts
Good to know...Im sure he is sore as all get out..you can also add warm compresses to the messaging...the warm moist towel might help stimulate blood flow...best wishes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.