The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,
I have a few questions as im new to goats, but not farming in general.
I need to get milking supplies, what do you use for washing & post dipping the teats? Are there any "natural" solutions you use?? Also I was going to get the stainless steel goat milking pail with the half moon cover. There is a "starter kit" on the website with that pail, a strainer & filters. That should be all I need in the way of milk collection correct? I have 1/2 gln jars for putting it in when done. I'm drinking it raw.

Also, what is in your goat grain mix? I want to feed as little grain as possible and do it as organically as possible also. I don't want to feed corn but want to feed perhaps oats & barley with a little molasses?? My local feed mill doesn't have anything "premixed" so I would have to have a special mix made or buy it at a store or online or something. what is in yours and do you like it??? I know I need free-choice mineral also- high in copper.
Thanks so much.........I feel like a fish out of water and I need to get some of this stuff figured out cuz my Doe is coming in 10 days! Yikes!

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
For washing I use alcohol free herbal baby wipes. For teat dipping I use Fight-Bac spray from Jeffers.
I milk into a stainless steel bowl and use my canning funnel with a 6 inch in-line filter in it. Your set up should be plenty.

My grain mix is rolled grains, beet pulp, and feed peas. I have been very happy with it. In fact, I got lazy and went to a bagged feed for a while this last year. I just started mixing my own again a couple months ago and I already see a huge difference in my girls.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. What do you use to sanitize your milking bucket and jars? I really want to avoid Bleach, but i'm not sure what else to use. I want to be safe since we are drinking it raw, but I just don't care to use bleach. I'll have to go to my local feed mill tomm. and see if they will mix me a custom mix. They may be able too, but often they won't unless it's under 500lbs. And for 1 Doe, I wont need 500 lbs of grain!!
Are there any pre-mixes you know of that are good??
I found Redman's for minerals, I just need to find a dealer in my area that carries it. It sounds like good stuff.

·
14,615 Posts
I throw everything into the dishwasher after rinsing with cold water.
A few times a week I dump white vinegar in to soak a bit.
My routine is the same as GoatHiker's first paragraph only I generally use a stainless pot with a lid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For washing I use alcohol free herbal baby wipes. For teat dipping I use Fight-Bac spray from Jeffers.
I milk into a stainless steel bowl and use my canning funnel with a 6 inch in-line filter in it. Your set up should be plenty.

My grain mix is rolled grains, beet pulp, and feed peas. I have been very happy with it. In fact, I got lazy and went to a bagged feed for a while this last year. I just started mixing my own again a couple months ago and I already see a huge difference in my girls.[/QUOTE

What is your receipe for mixing your own rolled grains, beet pulp and feed peas?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I use white vinegar and hot water as udder wash, and hot water to sterilize my jars (bleach does not touch my stuff).

as for udder dip, the vinegar/water solution would help, with some tea tree added.

here's a recent thread on homemade feed discussion. if you're looking for organic, you can go to your local feed store for any organic options.
http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f218/homemade-grains-150379/

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
I use white vinegar and hot water as udder wash, and hot water to sterilize my jars (bleach does not touch my stuff).

as for udder dip, the vinegar/water solution would help, with some tea tree added.

here's a recent thread on homemade feed discussion. if you're looking for organic, you can go to your local feed store for any organic options.
http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f218/homemade-grains-150379/
I was just going to send them over there too. I think the mix that we're coming up with will be much cheaper considering the price of feed peas.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'd love to use barley as feed, but i can't seem to find a good source....gotta keep calling around...

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Barley would probably be very expensive there. It's a cool weather crop. We grow it here in the fall.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
the small packs you can get in the grocery store isn't that expensive, i just need to find somewhere i can get in large quantities... everything livestock feed wise is imported. doesn't seem like anyone grows anything for feed, other than crappy hay my goats won't eat. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts