The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Our 3 month old ND doelings seem to need something more to get them thriving. They came with coccidia (gave albon for 5 days) no more diarrhea. No worms in fecal. Getting more playful etc. But they still only weigh 11-12 lbs...and they have rough coats, pretty sure there is a copper deficiency. I have been giving them purina goat chow but they eat out the grains and leave the pellets. Have also been giving them some BOSS which they like. They have free choice loose minerals, grass alfalfa hay and browse on native vegetation here in eastern wa which at our place is snowberry, weeds, baby pine trees and bunch grass. What grains and/or supplements does everyone use and like? I am thinking of trying the replamin gel weekly? Maybe swill to the calf mana feed with the higher protein? Thanks for any input, I want to get these girls growing and healthy :)

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
The Replamin would be a good option, you'll just have to cut the dosage down due to their very small size.

Definitely do a repeat fecal analysis in a few weeks to make sure parasites have not developed again.

What about switching to a pelleted feed that does not allow them to select certain parts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Replamin would be a good option, you'll just have to cut the dosage down due to their very small size.

Definitely do a repeat fecal analysis in a few weeks to make sure parasites have not developed again.

What about switching to a pelleted feed that does not allow them to select certain parts?
Thank you! Is the calf manna all pellets? I've never seen it but it felt like it through the bag!

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Calf Manna is all pellets but you will only feed a small amount of it. It's a super high protein SUPPLEMENT, not a complete feed. So your goats would just get a small amount, less than 1/4 pound per day of Calf Manna. I never really use it (can't stand the anise smell! But also don't really need a super high protein.)

But if you chose another 12-18% (protein) pelleted feed you could feed them more. I use this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-4-square-stocker-grower-supreme-cattle-feed-50-lb
But obviously there are thousands of options and thousands of opinions on feed. For your three doelings, I'd be feeding them free choice pelleted grain (aka, as much as they want) for a few months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Calf Manna is all pellets but you will only feed a small amount of it. It's a super high protein SUPPLEMENT, not a complete feed. So your goats would just get a small amount, less than 1/4 pound per day of Calf Manna. I never really use it (can't stand the anise smell! But also don't really need a super high protein.)

But if you chose another 12-18% (protein) pelleted feed you could feed them more. I use this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-4-square-stocker-grower-supreme-cattle-feed-50-lb
But obviously there are thousands of options and thousands of opinions on feed. For your three doelings, I'd be feeding them free choice pelleted grain (aka, as much as they want) for a few months.
Thanks again! I think I have been getting too hung up on the "goat" stuff. I'll try a pelleted feed like that :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
We use Kent Show Kid developer for kids. It's medicated to prevent cocci and all pellets. We also add BOSS. Replamin should help as well. They are pretty young for copper bolus. Do you have high iron in your water? If so you may want to consider a fliter for their water source.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We use Kent Show Kid developer for kids. It's medicated to prevent cocci and all pellets. We also add BOSS. Replamin should help as well. They are pretty young for copper bolus. Do you have high iron in your water? If so you may want to consider a fliter for their water source.
Our water is probably higher in calcium than iron, but it is considered hard water...thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our water is probably higher in calcium than iron, but it is considered hard water...thanks for the reply!
No problem we have super high iron. If you have boys, be careful with high calcium. Certain minerals like iron can block copper from being absorbed. We put an rv filter on our hose we use and it's slowly helping with the deficiency.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts