Goat Grain?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by myaussielexi, Mar 5, 2020.

1. myaussielexi

myaussielexi New Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Ontario
    I am looking into getting some goats, but I am just wondering how long would a 55 Gallon Drum filled with grain last when your goat is in milking?

2. Robinsonfarm

Robinsonfarm Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    There are too many variables to give an answer.
    What breed goat? how much grain per day are you feeding? What kind of grain?

3. myaussielexi

myaussielexi New Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Ontario
    I was thinking of Kiko goats, I was thinking of making my own grain by what I found it says to include oats, cracked corn, and Black oil sunflower seeds. Per how much by what I found it says to give one pound of grain for every three pound of milk produced.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Especially with Kiko, many people keep it as natural as possible and don't usually feed grain. They are still pretty hardy.

CountyLineAcres likes this.
  5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    It depends on the time of year and if your container is off the ground. Grain will mold and mold kills goats really fast. A metal can that sweats will cause mold to grow.

If you have a lot of goats, (like me) mold never has a chance to grow! My grain drums hold 150# of grain and last 1-1/2 days in the parlor, if I feed the milkers there. Less than a day if they are fed outside in a group.

Your feed drum would be great for a lot of animals, maybe overkill for 1 or 2. (Unless it's in a cool, dry environment off the ground).