The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goat Cupcake has been battling mites on her hooves and ears.

I've got one foot 100% cleared up. I think the mites are gone, just healing up wounds now.

Today was time for her 2nd of 3 shots of ivermecton.

I gave it to her, and I think she had a seizure. She was twirling her head around hollering, couldn't walk straight, fell down...

Then she hopped up, seemed confused and then was fine.

I've given this goat injections before, I'm very comfortable giving shots. I did not hit a nerve or a vein.

I'm worried about giving her a third shot in 10 days but I have to clear these mites up.

Also I wanted to start her on Pen G for the fleshy infection caused by the mites but I'm afraid of her getting another injection today. Should I give it starting tomorrow?

·
goat nut
316 Posts
Ivermectin stings. My goats cry, run around, lay down and bite the injection spot, etc. when they get it. The only other thing I know of is anaphylactic shock, but I think it's fatal. Lots of people keep epinephrine on hand in case of shock, but you have to have it loaded up and ready...it has to be given fast. I'm sure one of the more experienced goat people can give you more info on it. :)

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I went ahead and gave her the Penicillin. I read at fias co farm webpage it was 1 cc per 15 pounds of body weight. So I gave her 4 ccs. She weighs just around 60#'s. It also says to give twice a day for at least 5 days, does this sound right?

·
Registered
29,909 Posts
Sounds like you got her in a tender area. Mine react more when I do the shoulder then if I do it in the neck area.Try giving her next Ivomec in the kneck area where the neck meets the body the skin is very loose there..( learned that here :D) ALso it was suggested to wiggle the skin while injecting..confuse the nerve endings..I also read you can do pen G attopical for mites for secondary infection..they mixed with with a cream to rub on the effected area..??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts