Goat halter

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by greif, Jul 5, 2020.

1. greif

greif Member

Nov 3, 2007
    kaukauna, WI
    What size halter do I need for 3 month old Nigerian dwarf goats. Plan on ordering from jeffers.
    Thanks

2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I don't recommend halter training until they're a little older and bigger. Halters are difficult to fit on very small goats and they are easy enough to control with a collar at that size. I'd recommend waiting until they are at least six months old and reevaluating. I train packgoats and I always use halters, but I don't usually start halter training until they are at least 4-5 months old (often older) and probably around 80-100 lbs. Size is usually a bigger determining factor for when I start halter training than age.

I don't care for the halters sold by Jeffers. They don't fit well because they lack a ring on the noseband. The best-fitting halters in my experience are these:
    https://www.soprisunlimited.com/halters

The little ring under the halter/cheek connection makes all the difference in fit.

Iluvlilly! and ksalvagno like this.

3. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    We don’t bother with halters, ours do better with collars. I’ve tried a halter before and they fight it so much more than a collar. For size reference though, our ND does usually wear a kid size halter and our bucks are between the doe size (our largest buck is almost to big for it) and buck size. I don’t think they make ones small enough for a 3 month old ND. We don’t do collars before about 9 months old either.

Ashlynn likes this.
  4. Canadian Goat Mom

Canadian Goat Mom Member

Jun 28, 2020
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't use halters either. My goats wear collars and walk great on leashes.

Ashlynn and toth boer goats like this.
  5. Riverside Fainters

Riverside Fainters Active Member

Feb 6, 2013
    I am probably the minority here!! I love my halters vs collars on my goats. All of mine are halter trained and do great!! They make alpaca halters that might work for the Nigerians. I uses a med-large on all of my Myotonics who range from 100-140ish lbs. My buck I use a rope halter. 20191010_082130-01.jpeg

SalteyLove likes this.
  6. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I too love halters. (embarrassed)

I use the ones from Jeffers and they are not perfect, but they do alright. If you are going to buy one from Jeffers go with the absolutely smallest size you can get. I have kinders which are a little bit bigger than Nigis and at five months old I still had to drill a couple holes in the strap to get it small enough. I ordered the small and they are still using that size at a year and a half old.

Ashlynn likes this.
  7. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Wow those look awesome. I love all the color choices.

8. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Yes, those are great halters and worth every penny. They come in very small up to very large sizes and in just about every color you can think of. Mine get very well used but are always in great shape. I don't take my big boys anywhere without their halters.

MellonFriend likes this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Those halters work great and a goat minds pretty well with them.

10. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    If you plan to show at all in 4-H, etc, train them to a collar. Halters aren't typically used for dairy goats. Otherwise, whatever you like. I have always used collars and don't have any trouble teaching them to lead and mind with one.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is true, but to get them started with the halter sometimes helps with some. ;)