The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size halter do I need for 3 month old Nigerian dwarf goats. Plan on ordering from jeffers.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I don't recommend halter training until they're a little older and bigger. Halters are difficult to fit on very small goats and they are easy enough to control with a collar at that size. I'd recommend waiting until they are at least six months old and reevaluating. I train packgoats and I always use halters, but I don't usually start halter training until they are at least 4-5 months old (often older) and probably around 80-100 lbs. Size is usually a bigger determining factor for when I start halter training than age.

I don't care for the halters sold by Jeffers. They don't fit well because they lack a ring on the noseband. The best-fitting halters in my experience are these:
https://www.soprisunlimited.com/halters

The little ring under the halter/cheek connection makes all the difference in fit.

·
Registered
845 Posts
We don’t bother with halters, ours do better with collars. I’ve tried a halter before and they fight it so much more than a collar. For size reference though, our ND does usually wear a kid size halter and our bucks are between the doe size (our largest buck is almost to big for it) and buck size. I don’t think they make ones small enough for a 3 month old ND. We don’t do collars before about 9 months old either.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am probably the minority here!! I love my halters vs collars on my goats. All of mine are halter trained and do great!! They make alpaca halters that might work for the Nigerians. I uses a med-large on all of my Myotonics who range from 100-140ish lbs. My buck I use a rope halter.
Head Eye Plant Working animal Human body

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,302 Posts
I too love halters. (embarrassed)

I use the ones from Jeffers and they are not perfect, but they do alright. If you are going to buy one from Jeffers go with the absolutely smallest size you can get. I have kinders which are a little bit bigger than Nigis and at five months old I still had to drill a couple holes in the strap to get it small enough. I ordered the small and they are still using that size at a year and a half old.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Wow those look awesome. I love all the color choices.
Yes, those are great halters and worth every penny. They come in very small up to very large sizes and in just about every color you can think of. Mine get very well used but are always in great shape. I don't take my big boys anywhere without their halters.

·
Fair-Haven
4,823 Posts
If you plan to show at all in 4-H, etc, train them to a collar. Halters aren't typically used for dairy goats. Otherwise, whatever you like. I have always used collars and don't have any trouble teaching them to lead and mind with one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts