Goat has lump on face

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Marshall11, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Marshall11

Marshall11 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    United Kingdom
    hey everyone. I’ve had this goat for about a month, and a week or two ago he developed this on his face. He is only five months old.
    Bought him from very reputable farm, who have said they’ve done all the tests.
    Could it be cl? I read it is rare in goat so young, but I’m very concerned, for the goats I have him with as well.
    The vet has come to see him and believes it could be a cyst. Then she offered to put him under anaesthetic in order to surgically remove it. I said I would have to think about it because of the risks of going under... he is very young.

What do you think it could be? Cl, salivary glands, or could it be some sort of thistle or piece of fence that is causing this?

I’m very new to goats and wouldn’t really be able to do anything myself. He doesn’t let me put my hand in his mouth... and he has very sharp teeth.

I texted the vet about the possibility, and she responded asking what cl was.... ok.

Attached Files:

2. Marshall11

Marshall11 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Forgot to mention. It is hard, not soft.

3. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Welcome to the forum! :) You did manage to share photos that show what you want to talk about. :)

If CL is the same as corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis, I think it must be rather non-typical. I have battled against that bacteria for a long time, and so far not seen it in this place. It looks more, as you suggest, like a thistle thorn or something similar.

Good thing you have discovered the built-in wire cutters they have, otherwise I would warn you. ;) Still, it would be interesting to learn how it is inside the mouth. If an old wound, there you would have the answer!

He seems to be rather unaffected, still it might be a good thing to try to get his temp, most vets like to have a figure on that!

Oh, yes, and: Is it sore?

4. Marshall11

Marshall11 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    United Kingdom

Thanks for your help.

The vet did look in his mouth, and she didn’t seem too concerned. But then she didn’t seem to know what I was talking about when I asked her.

Im worried about caseous lymphadenitis, and I think what you mentioned is the same thing? I really don’t know these terms very well. Just looked up ‘lump on goats face’ and got all sorts of worrying results and immediately started panicking, lol.

I might try to look in myself, though I may come back with half a hand.

Yes, I don’t think he has noticed it? He eats, runs around, plays, and doesn’t seem to be in pain. I don’t think it’s sore, but I can’t be one hundred percent sure.

Unsure what to do. I really don’t want to put him under anaesthetic. Have had friends lose their pets to it, and I’d only really want to do it in an emergency.

Thanks again for your reply.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Wait till it comes to a head and have the pus tested. He really is too young for CL.

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Looks as if it is the same:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caseous_lymphadenitis

I say, if you are responsible for live animals, there is no time to panic! Let us co-operate in learning! The photo on Wikipedia looks awful, still some of them similar to what I saw "once upon a time". Yours looks different, especially the site.

If the lump is not sore, there is no sense in using pain killers, there are always side effects!

Concerning your half hand, I can quote from a book I am currently reading: "Mind your fingers, honey, no blood on the garments." ;) (Had to look up the last word, that is why I remember it!)

I suggest you wait until it "ripens", and then try your best to collect any pus.

NigerianNewbie likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, wait til it softens then have it tested.

Salivary gland abscesses are soft and should never be cut into.

But it sounds like it come up really quick. I don't think CL does that.

Vet not knowing? Oh my, do you have another vet you can talk to.

Could be a bee sting, spider bite, snake bite, abscessed tooth, sticker, splinter. Are there any marks or scabs anywhere on the outside skin?
    Or an injury from being hit by another goat.

Did the vet look into the mouth?

Check for cud compaction.

Is it hot to the touch?

NigerianNewbie likes this.
  8. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Oh yes, CL can come up fairly quickly, if the goat has not built up immunity. Mine went from a lump to ripe and open in one week in the beginning, in the end it took half a year.

But. So far I have not seen a CL lump on that place in the face!

9. WhiteFeatherFarms

WhiteFeatherFarms Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2017
    I’ve had a very similar situation with one of my whethers! My vet also recommended waiting until it ‘ripens’ & then having the pus tested, which I did & was negative for CL. The bad news is that this guy seems to get a cyst in that spot probably once a year, it’s annoying!! He doesn’t love when I drain it, but now that I know what to do I just do it myself & then use some sterile rinse for a few days & triple antibiotic ointment for a few days. It’s a process! From the time I notice it to the time it’s totally gone can be a few weeks to a month...Don’t get panicked reading online CL really isn’t very common!! Good luck!

10. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    CL is very contagious, and more or less impossible to get rid of, that is why we fear it. But, correct, do not panic! Your photos do not look like CL, they look like an "ordinary" hide infection.

11. Marshall11

Marshall11 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I was shocked she didn’t know too. I responded with the full term, but then she just didn’t answer. I think I will have to use another vet in the future.

There are a lot of bees, and they have been bothering the goats, I think, so I suppose that’s possible? There aren’t any snakes here though.
    Definitely though, it could be anything.

She did look in the mouth.

Sorry for ignorance, but how would I check for that?

12. Marshall11

Marshall11 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Alright everyone, thank you :) I’m a bit calmer now.

So, I should wait and see if it bursts, and then try to take a sample?
    I guess I might not be there if it happens, especially at night. But I shouldn’t do anything, or allow the vet to operate?

Thanks again. Sorry if I ask too many questions.

13. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    I believe you might just as well settle for (did the dictionary tell me correct?) rinsing the cavity and make the wound heal - from the bottom, that is important!

14. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! I don't have enough knowledge to help, just saying welcome and hello.:cowboy:

Trollmor likes this.
  15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You will see when it starts to come to a head. That is when you would open it and get a pus sample. You would also want to flush the pus out. Do that on a tarp you can throw away or do it far from your goat area. I would suspect a bee sting more than CL but better to be safe.

Trollmor and Dwarf Dad like this.
  16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree :up:

If the vet checked in the mouth, they should of seen feed in the cheek area if it was there.
    But to check, open the mouth and check the cheek for food impaction there.
    It will be between the cheek and teeth area where the lump is.

Usually an abscess will begin to bald just before it is ready, Feel it gently and if it is ripe, it will be soft in a spot. You want it to be cut low on the abscess so it drains well.
    Do not forget the sample first, before flushing with iodine/water.

If it is from a insect or snake bite ect. Benadryl may help.

Trollmor likes this.
  17. Marshall11

Marshall11 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Hi everyone.
    I know it's been ages but wanted to update. The lump is completely gone now.
    Thanks for the help everyone. I am very glad I didn't let the vet operate.

samidaho, Dwarf Dad and ksalvagno like this.
  18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Very good to hear, thanks for the update. :)

samidaho likes this.