The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...
So I have a little guy (3 months old) and he is super stubborn. He lives mostly in a pen, and he is more comfortable in there, but I want to get him out a bit so he can have more variety to eat. But when I put him on his lead he refuses to move. I've tried bribing him with sweet feed, apples, his favorite leaves, and even chips, but he hates the lead. I put him on it, and I basically have to drag him to where I want to tie him. (He's 1/2 Boer, and I'm a small person, so he's a bit of a load for me to carry ;) ) And I hate doing that to him, I feel so mean.
And once he is on there, he doesn't understand it, and runs full speed ahead until he is stopped and sort of chokes himself on it. I hate seeing him do that. He usually does it when I come up to him...like he'll see me 10 feet off and run until he is stopped. I can interact with him in his pen, but on the lead, he hates everyone/everything.
Is it just going to take him some time to get used to it? Or am I doing something wrong? Anything I can do to help him learn to love the lead? It's 25 feet long, and I put him in trees where he can go the full 25 feet in all directions, so he has plenty of space, I believe.
Thank you all!

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I had a similar problem with my wether.
What I learned:
- You have to be more stubborn than the goat
- When you are walking with him, have him right by your side, even if you have to drag him
- Goats lead better on a halter than a collar
- Eventually he will learn you're more stubborn than him

My wether used to lie down when I was teaching him to lead, I made him get up and keep going. Now he leads pretty well, you just gotta keep with it, and eventually he'll be okay with it. Be consistent, and give handfuls of sweet feed now and again as praise.:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts