The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I’m new to this site and I have some questions about my 3 year old female Nigerian dwarf doe. About a week ago one of my does gave birth to quadruplets, during this time another one of my does began acting like she was in labor. She had this bubble that never came very far out. When she stood up the bubble got sucked back in. The next day she was eating and drinking normally and running around like nothing happened. One week later she is doing this again. What is going on? She’s given birth twice before and this has never happened.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It doesn't seem full of liquid. Sorry this was the best I could do. I can try again if this isn't good enough. She pushes it out just a little bit more and it doesn't look like any of my other goat births. If it is a prolapse will both her and her babies be ok? Can I prevent a prolapse? This picture was at 7:13pm today and it's 9:35pm now. It also seems to only be happening when she is laying down.
5E56E4AB-299D-4CAD-B20D-6B717F2B0676.png

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Good advice.

Keep an eye on her, if she prolapses when trying to kid, you will have to get it back in so she can kid.
Be careful not to rip her, she will bleed out.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
No rings, have short fingernails, use flat fingers and palms, she will push as you are trying to insert it, so stop at that moment, until she stops pushing, then proceed.
Keep trying to get it to go all the way in and back into position.

If she is in labor, and you get it into position, you will feel the opening and may feel the kid there.

Be aware, if it has been a while with the prolapse being out, she cannot pee and you may get drenched when it is positioned properly.

Never dig fingertips in the prolapse, be very gentle and try to get it to go back in. Work with the doe.

If someone could hold the goats rear end up a bit, gravity helps to get it to go back in easier.

If it is too big, (swollen) and there is no way to get it back in there.
Put sugar on it, it helps shrink the tissue, so you can get it back in.

If at all, you are afraid to do it, call a vet right away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
8758A7C3-3020-4E37-B80C-D706C5726651.jpeg
Thank you all for your help and advise. She just birthed two kids a couple hours ago! Both are a decent size one female and one male. The white one ( boy) is huge! It's the size of one of our week old kids! She had a hard time pushing it out but everything went fine. She still has that bubble when she lays down though is that ok? We also had a vet ready to help anytime we needed her.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Bubble?
That doesn't sound normal.

If she is still prolapsing, you may have to get a vet to put in a stitch, so it stays in, this is so she her body can recoup and go close up to normal.

It may have to be put into position before putting a stitch in.

Get a vet right away, in case that is what is happening.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts