Goat heading out

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by R.Williamson, Aug 12, 2020.

1. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    My girl Cheeze it will be heading to her new home tomorrow.I intend to send some of her feed with her as the hauler is willing to feed during the trip. She will have access t o hay and water either way. She has a long trip ahead of her. Any suggestions as to what I can do to make the trip easier on her? ( She recently had a CD&T booster specifically for this trip) She is only about 5 months old. Suggestions are appreciated. CVI is also completely in order.
    She has a very considerable trip ahead of her. I have a lot of faith in the hauler. A friend has used them in the past and they took excellent care of her animals.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    You might want to send some of the water she’s used to with the hauler as well. Sometimes animals get weird about new water.

I’ve not sent animals with a transporter, but we did move 9 goats from Mississippi to Ohio ourselves. We offered water every few hours and they had hay. Did well, didn’t have any issues.

3. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Probiotics, grain, hay, and fresh water. You could give a shot as prevention for shipping fever, but I don’t find it necessary and have only had a couple buyers request it.

We sent many goats across the country. They always do pretty well! Make sure the buyer knows to check for worms about 2-4 weeks after arriving.

4. R.Williamson

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    I will keep all of that in mind. Ty

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Hay, garlic and vitamin c before shipping to boost immune system to make sure she doesn’t get sick!!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good advice.

Give probitics and fortified vit B complex 3 days prior to the trip.
    Making it so the last dose will be on the day of transport.

7. R.Williamson

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    Ty all. Some of these I will have to bank for future reference aa she is leaving in the next hour.

8. R.Williamson

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    Well Cheeze it is heading to her new home. :) Hoping her new home loves her as much as we do. I have a funny feeling they will :) 117769760_1226201954382258_9187915842385466739_n.jpg 117825641_663538854245121_5392910042701034812_n.jpg

Goataddict and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California