Goat health help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Katymust3, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Katymust3

Katymust3 New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I have a wether, about two years old that is not feeling well. He has a low temp of 99.7. His eyes, gums, etc have normal healthy color and his poop is normal as well, but he definitely acts like he's in distress. I gave him a couple ounces of mineral oil initially, and he has drank a small amount of warm water with molasses. I am wondering what the issue may be, how I can get his temp back up, and how much fluids and what forms would be best for him right now. Thanks!

2. Bekahbear

Bekahbear Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Arizona
    have you seen him pee at all? with boys i always worry about a urinary blockage.

3. The-Goat-Posse

The-Goat-Posse Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Is he still eating? Can you hear his rumen functioning?

4. Katymust3

Katymust3 New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I haven't seen him pee today during the times I was out there. He was picking at hay last night but not showing interest today. Getting ready to go back out, will listen for rumen sounds.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Make sure he is peeing and not blocked, even if you have to put him somewhere to monitor when he pee's on the floor of a cement barn ect.

Sub temp can mean rumen issues. Any sounds and movement on the left side?
    Give him probiotics and fortified vit B shots for a few days SQ, 6 cc's per 100 lbs. No grain for a few days until better.

Can you get a fecal as well for worms and cocci in case?

6. Katymust3

Katymust3 New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Have not seen him pee yet. I am moving him to a spot where he can be alone and I can monitor him. The ther goats and sheep are bugging him. I heard very faint rumen noises, not the usual loud gurgles. He definitely acts like he is straining, he did that while laying down and is looking towards his rear end.

7. Katymust3

Katymust3 New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    So I have him moved to a nice heated area and have given him probiotics. He munched a bit of hay. Still watching for him to pee. Plan on giving him the vitamin b and taking his temp again shortly. Thanks everyone for your input! Cowboy is a sweetie and I hate to see him in distress.

8. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I would give him electrolytes, b complex and probiotics. You to get his rumen working.

9. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Wouldn't hurt to do a dark beer drench...60 cc's of flat dark beer.Do you have any ammonium chloride on hand?

10. Katymust3

Katymust3 New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    After doing some reading and observing him I am now pretty certain it's urinary calculi or something very similar. I plan to call my vet tomorrow morning and talk with him. I unfortunately do not have ammonium chloride on hand. I do have the vitamin B complex, is it something that would still be beneficial? I don't want to cause him too much extra distress if it's not helpful... his temperature has risen at least.

11. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Good luck! Following ... I hope he is ok.

Keep us updated!:)

12. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Don't delay calling the vet. Do they make after hours emergency visits?

13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Fruit Fresh from the grocery store works in a pinch.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Vit B complex does good for sick animals. If his appetite is not there or has no energy. Do get him treatment ASAP for UC. Let us know what the vet says. I agree, he needs ammonium chloride.

Good luck.

15. Katymust3

Katymust3 New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Thanks everyone for the advice and support. I took him to the vet and the plan was to remove the pizzle, which usually is what works to help them pass the blockage easier, and then move on from there. Unfortunately, we were not able to help him with that simple procedure, one of the reasons being he was very underdeveloped making it even harder for he blockage to pass. The next step would've been more invasive surgeries that could end up complicating things and diminishing his life quality in the future. We opted to have the vet put him to sleep and put an end to his distress.
    thanks again everyone, I certainly wish there had been a happier ending. I'm going to miss my happy, frolicking guy for sure. I'm only glad to know he isn't suffering.
    A big lesson learned here was that even though castration bands are easier, giving them as much time as possible and then surgically castrating is better for them in the long run as it gives them more time to develop.

16. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Aww, so sorry. Thank you for sharing as we can learn too.

17. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
  18. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    I'm so sorry you had to go through that....hugs from our farm to yours.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  20. Bekahbear

Bekahbear Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Arizona
    I am so sorry for your loss