GOAT HOOVES

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sandyj, Jan 11, 2009.

1. sandyj

sandyj New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    How often do goat hooves have to be trimmed? How hard is this to do. Is this something I could do? Also, do goats have to be groomed/clipped? Does their hair grow long or does is stay relatively the same length.
    sandyj

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    goat hooves are easy to trim on your own, but I recomend getting something like a milking stand to hold them so you dont have to fight to keep them still (that is unless you have someone to help you hold them. Tieing to the fence works too).

Goats dont need to be clipped unless they are going to a show and then that is only stronly suggested (and most people do).

3. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I agree with Stacey... I only want to add that I trim hooves every other month but do inspections in between. I am sure others vary in when they do theirs. This is just my routine of when they need it done. And mine have lots of rocks to climb on so that helps keep them wore down.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    the time in between hoof trims is completely dependant on the teraine that the goats are on. If they are in a rocky area, they are not going to need to be trimmed as often as a goat living on irrigated pasture.

If you go to fiascofarm.com they have an awesome 'how to" on how to trim hooves. It is very very easy, and like Stacey suggested a milk stand is going to help you tremendously. I did my goats for about the first 8 months without one - and at one point I had about 20 goats that needed trimming - I came in afterwards crying because I hurt so bad from bending over, that I broke down and we built one. Now I love my milkstandS - yep have two - one for minis and one for standards. I do everything in them!!!

5. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    The milk stand is the way to go . My poor husband , before he built it his back would kill him. They also work great any time you need to do something to them. I use to be the human stanchon and I was bruised from head to toe .My husband would joke that I had to leave a note for the cops. If I died unexpectedly he needed the note to prove he didn't hit me . When trimming their hooves he uses a tool called a "sur-form" its a wood working tool used to shave. Stanely tools make it . It has changeable blades . Looks kind of like a cheese grater. He also uses a pair of nippers that carpenters use to cut or pull nails .Looks like the ones horse people use just smaller .
    Here in Fl we just have soft ground.I have no rocks or hard surfaces for them to climb on so they need to be done once a month.
    Karen

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I use a milkstand and try to do it about once a month. Often for the hind legs I will stand with my legs on either side of the goat, facing their rear, so i can pick the leg up and they wont fall over - or try to escape and fall off the stand :wink:

Except I cant do that with Demi cause my feet dont reach the ground when I try to stand over her... I have to stand on tiptoes and then I fall over myself when she moves... :ROFL:

7. sandyj

sandyj New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Stacey,
    You really don't have to trim hooves? I've heard in different things I've read they need to be trimmed. How do you know they need to be trimmed? Do they get long and raggedy? Can they hurt themselves if they are too long?
    sandyj

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    eventually all goats need trimming. without that, they can become lame, founder, get hoof rot, they will be uncomfortable walking. the hoof should be parallel to the coronary band (where the hoof ends and hair begins) look at the hoofs of kids, that is how a goats hoof should look.

Milkstands are a must, my back didnt hurt without them, because my goats are failry large, but i couldnt keep the goat still and it took 3 people to help me hold a grumpy goat. with a milkstand i can do it by myself.

Get a pair of orange (or green) handled hoof trimmers made for goats. they cost a bit more, but they will last longer and are much more sharp.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    sandyj.....the hooves absolutely need to be maintained...I think Stacey was refering to clipping the goats hair, most do it to shoew their goats, a non-fiber goat just really needs a good brushing once a week or so to keep the under coat free of dirt and debris. Hooves must be trimmed or else they can and will go lame, cause foot rot and it's just not healthy for a goat to have overgrown hooves. Depending on the terrain as others mentioned, that will be the rule as to how often they need trimmed, I do mine every 6-8 weeks if needed as they do have a good amount of rock to "travel" on.

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Totally depends on your pasture and terrain. My goats must have their feet trimmed or they grow till they're misshapen. So I trim every 2-3 months. It really depends on the goat and their individual hoof growth. I have some who only need a little taken off, others who get elf feet if I don't do them more often.

11. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008