Goat houses

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Honey21, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Honey21

Honey21 Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Orangeburg sc
    We are adding on to our pen and making separate pens I was wondering what else I could do to make some houses for my goats we had one built but its to big to move so any idea how to make a cheap but durable ones:ponder:

2. Pygmylover

Pygmylover New Member

Oct 20, 2013
    We didn't build one. But we took the kids' plastic playhouse and boarded up the windows and such. Our kids hadn't used it in a couple years so we made it into a goat house. We even ran an extension cord out to it so we could put a light bulb out there for the winter. Our goats are pygmys though so that probably wouldn't work on bigger goats. Here is a pic... My husband is in the pic too - he's the oldest goat in the herd! LOL!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

3. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    Have you tried pallets? Screw them together and cover with tin. 1 pallet on either side, 1 for the back and 1 for the roof will make a shelter big enough for about 2 standard sized goats. If you need them bigger than that, I would think you could use a 2X4 at the top and bottom as a frame, screw the pallets to the 2X4's, then tin.

4. Honey21

Jan 25, 2014
    Orangeburg sc
    The Kids house would be a good I idea for a medium sized goat or if u just had kids in a pen by themselves. The pallets is a awesome idea they just would be kinda hard to get

5. DMSMBoers

DMSMBoers New Member

Dec 22, 2013
    Southwest Missouri
    You can also use cattle panels an a tarp.

Attached Files:

6. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    What kind of an area do you live in? Is there farming or agriculture? What about construction? If there are farms around you, look in the yellow pages for fertilizer and check with those business about damaged/broken fertilizer tanks. Some of them are good sized and it would be a fairly easy job to make a doorway and mount them on skids for moving. If there is construction, there is probably also demolition and you could pick up used lumber - usually for nothing if you are willing to go get it - and build shelters on skids. Another idea would be a portable hoop house covered with laminate. Build a frame out of 2X4's to attach the cattle panel too, then cover with demo'd laminate or paneling - something that is flexible. Attach the frame to skids and you're good to go. I believe tin can be welded to cattle panels, too, so there is another option if you have access to demo'd tin. Plug the nail holes with a little bit of silicone seal.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  7. Honey21

Jan 25, 2014
    Orangeburg sc
    Cow panels cost 19.99 a piece at TSC I thought about the fertilizer containers too would be really good and easy to move around yes we live in a farming area there are hay fields and corn and peanut all around us. I will do that and see what I come up with. I hope they don't want too much money for them.

8. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    What's your budget like? Between $0-100, or $100-200?

Calf raisers sell used calf hutches cheap. Or from a promotional ad you can get away with a steal. Cattle panel is a good option. You can get a nice amount of them (great for everything) off CL for a good price. You can also use large old grain bins from feed mills, or do a search on CL for livestock shelters. Pallets are great too and many times you can find them anywhere industrial, and of course CL (can you tell I use it a lot??). An old truck topper makes a shelter in a cinch, and they're usually $10-40. Gotta get creative!! Also if you're willing to do a bit of work, people scrap all sorts of stuff out. Take it down in pieces, assemble how you'd like in your yard. We got our first large chicken coop this way! Old barn boards, tin, shingles, etc. Some people just don't want that ugly shed on their property anymore. Lol

Animals make such personable friends, they pass no criticisms, offer their ears through happiness and sorrows, and yet possess such undying devotion, even whilst they know all our secrets.

9. Honey21

Jan 25, 2014
    Orangeburg sc
    good ideas thanks im willing to do alittle work. IF it gets the job done budget would probably be 0-100$

10. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    What about totes from a dairy? They usually just give them away. It's not the goats but wr used it for pigs too

Carmen, Co-Owner Oleo Acres LLC, Nw Ks

Attached Files:

11. Honey21

Jan 25, 2014
    Orangeburg sc
    Called the fertilizer companies this morning no luck!:(

12. Smallfarmer

Smallfarmer New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Igloo dog houses work and they love to climb on them too.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Goat Forum mobile app

13. Honey21

Jan 25, 2014
    Orangeburg sc
    well still looking around for everything yall suggested anything else anybody can give me some help with? I would really like to see some pics

14. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Here's a couple more pics. One is a metal calf or pig hut and the other is a better pic of the totes

Carmen, Oleo Acres LLC, NW Ks

Attached Files:

15. crownofjules

crownofjules New Member

Not much help here... we use pallets and "found" wood, unwanted sheds, I even have a set of houses built from an old half pipe! I use left over stucco wallboard, or home exterior paneling for walls, roofs, floors.
    The are really ugly, but they last (even through lots of butting and being hopped upon!) and they are uber-cheap! The only expense is in the wood screws, roof sealant, and a fresh sawzall blade now and then.

They don't need them here but for a few months in "winter" (it's already in the 80's!) and during the violent winds and torrential rain/hail during the monsoons. They have mid-yard shade to chill in during the hottest part of the day.

16. Honey21

Jan 25, 2014
    Orangeburg sc
    love the totes they look really strudy and easy to move around thanks for the idea im glad goats aren't picky about how their house looks!!

17. Smallfarmer

Smallfarmer New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    How hard are those totes to clean out? Are they warm enough for the goats to stay in when there's negative temps?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Goat Forum mobile app

18. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Tip the totes up and wash them. You can see the black thing on top of the one...that is a fill hole and that is the lid for it (note the other 2 don't have lids). You can tumble them over and then rinse with the water and gunk falling out that hole. Not too hard. Not super convenient, but not bad. We put lots and lots of straw in there for them. We get a LOT of wind and have bad windchill here. Place the totes so they face away from the prevailing wind. Usually, you'll have 2 or 3 goats sleeping in them together so they keep each other pretty warm. We've never had one freeze to death in there. Best part of the totes is that if you can find a dairy near you they will almost pay you to take them!! They are FREE. We have a dairy just a couple miles down the road and can pick up all we want or can use.

19. mlktrkdrvr

mlktrkdrvr New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Next time I am down that way I am going to look you up and get a trailer load. They sell here for $50 each. We are in SE Nebr

20. jac-k

jac-k New Member

Nov 10, 2013
    You said you can get them from a dairy farm what are they called exactly so I don't look like an idiot asking around lol

Sent from my C811 4G using Goat Forum mobile app