Goat houses

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Jaycies, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Jaycies

Jaycies Member

May 13, 2016
    California
    I have one alpine and three boer/nubians that share a circle pen that gives them plenty of room to run. In fact, hubby built them a teeter totter which they love! However, this pen does not have a roof and with the upcoming occasional rains and dampness, I want to give them shelter as well. We put up a tarp which should have worked, we thought, however the goats think of it as a toy and possibly a trampoline!

What have you all done for your goats? I obviously don't want to break the bank on this and even see that igloo dog houses, as some on Pinterest suggested, are pretty pricey when you're buying for four. Plus, I would think they would want to be in the same one?

Any suggestions would be great!

2. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    My dad got an old plastic water tank that used to be used for roads and cut it in half anf put a hole for them to get in. It creates a lot of heat

catharina likes this.

3. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney Member

Jul 11, 2017
    We used free pallets to make a small house for our babies. We also have a large plastic dog crate w/o a door that they seem to like. If your goats are adults you could probably make a house that's 2 pallets wide by 2 pallets long. You could maybe use three 2x4s or 2x6s to nail across the underside of the roof, parallel to each other along the sides and center seam. Or surf Craigslist for large crates, dog houses, igloos, small sheds, etc.

odieclark likes this.
  4. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    There are often free or cheap dog houses & dog igloos on Craigslist. I have a large dog house & a small plastic garden shed up on stacked cinder blocks so the goats can go under them or in them, & also not get onto the roofs & ruin them. We drove metal posts through the cinder blocks so they don't slide around. Then I have 3 dogloos which I found for free beside the road. They also use them as climbing toys.

odieclark likes this.
  5. Jaycies

Jaycies Member

May 13, 2016
    California
    I️ appreciate your suggestions! It really helps. Would you be able to take a picture of yours for me?

odieclark likes this.
  6. Jaycies

Jaycies Member

May 13, 2016
    California
    Okay I’ll see what I️ can find. Anything’s better than what we have done so far!

7. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I use these https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...a-box-12-ft-w-x-20-ft-l-x-8-ft-h?cm_vc=-10005

But they are $400 :/ but they last forever!!! If you put it up just right and split in half maybe you could use half for storage of some kind ????
    Another thing that I see a lot of people use is those white tote things, if you just search tote on craigslist you’ll see what what I mean and you can get those for $40-50 but I’m not sure if you would be able to fit more then one goat in there once they grow up but maybe you could cut them in a way that you could put like 4 together and make something so they can be together. Being that you have 3 together I would try and get something that all can go in so they can snuggle together.
    Another idea if you google it is hoop houses made out of cattle panels but I tried that once and it didn’t work out well lol really with our mild winters though you won’t need anything too fancy just something to block the wind and keep them dry

odieclark likes this.
  8. GF3 Boer Goats

GF3 Boer Goats New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    These are IBC totes and are great. Also, look at calf hutches. We got 3 of these for $375

odieclark likes this.
  9. wifeof1

wifeof1 Active Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    This is what we did. 5 wood pallets. Strapped together with metal. Old signs. And old plywood.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Goat_Scout likes this.
  10. Einhorn

Einhorn New Member

Jan 2, 2014
    We use IBC tours for our saanen. Two full sized saanen can't fit in, but one plus two babies do very well. Just so you know, the top comes off, and if you lose that, there's a big is hole in the middle. Not perfect for rain. .. also, n if it will be very wet, n I'd recommend putting it on a raised base, is plastic and the train runs down the sides and leaks underneath.

11. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Active Member

Jan 24, 2013
  12. [​IMG]
    We like these. The goats can climb and play on them, and they aren't too terribly expensive to build.

Jaeih and wifeof1 like this.
  13. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    The outside no but the inside I put t-posts by 3 of the ribs and tied onto them. They come with these stupid anchor things that you have to twist into the ground but our ground gets so hard that I spent 2 hours putting one in that I just went to the t posts. The frame it’s self is super durable! It’s not like those white car ports where the pipes just slide into each other, these they slide together then you also put a bolt threw the two pieces to keep together. It’s also decently thick pipes

14. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    You can be creative anything you can find, Bonus points if they can jump on it. Craigslist have materials you can use.

15. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    You didn't mention if these are does, wethers, etc. Also if you have very cold weather? If you plan to have kids, I do recommend building something that you can separate moms and kids in a nice dry, draft free area.

16. Jaycies

Jaycies Member

May 13, 2016
    California
    Oh you’re right! They’re all does. Ages 7-8 months old. No kids and not planning on having any. We’re in California in the valley so lows are usually bottom 30’s. Very rarely go below that.

17. Jaycies

Jaycies Member

May 13, 2016
    California
    Oh you’re right! They’re all does. Ages 7-8 months old. No kids and not planning on having any. We’re in California in the valley so lows are usually bottom 30’s. Very rarely go below that.

18. Jaeih

Jaeih Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Tennessee
  19. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney Member

Jul 11, 2017
    I don't have photos of the original pallet house we built but this is the re-done version using the original house's foundation and scrap wood. My dad hordes wood. He thinks he'll use it all someday. I think he's a class 2 disposaphobic. At least it comes in handy sometimes:p. Now we only use "The Cubby" when we need to work on the barn (some of our babies are still tiny) or when little ones need somewhere to hide. 20171113_214058.jpg 20171113_214207.jpg

wifeof1 likes this.