The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a four month old Nigerian dwarf and that darn goat jumps on my back whenever she gets the chance. I can't lean down to fill up bowls or pick anything up because she jumps right on me. I have very bad back problems to make matters worse :( what can I do? Thanks!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one other goat the same age as well. I do hope she grows out of it! That leads me to another question regarding collars, is it safe to leave them on all the time? I have been hesitant to use one because I'm afraid they'll stick their head somewhere, get stuck and choke themselves. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
That leads me to another question regarding collars, is it safe to leave them on all the time? I have been hesitant to use one because I'm afraid they'll stick their head somewhere, get stuck and choke themselves. Thanks!!
Some people will say it's never safe ever and others use collars all the time. I think it's a personal decision and you have to take a look at your goat management to figure out if its ok for you.

We use them but they have the plastic buckles that can be broken if they're stuck. Someone is also around the majority of the day so if anyone is in distress, we're right here to help. The collars work with our style but may not with yours.

·
Super Moderator
83,785 Posts
Pull the ear. Pull upwards, until the goat screams, say "quit" , or what ever you want as a command. Let go, the goat will stop.
Anytime the goat gets out of hand say "Quit" ect. Repeat the ear pulling, until the goat learns, it is unacceptable.
Goats by nature will bite and pull each others ears to say they aren't happy. ;)

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Do they have horns? I find the only problem with collars here is the one horned goat gets playing and occasionally gets Hung up in someone's collar. So far she has always gotten free with no issues. The new goats came with mostly plastic "linked" collars. I like them! I'll probably switch over to just them eventually

·
1,524 Posts
I use the nylon, metal buckle dog collars on my goats. All goats over 6 months old wear them. Have been doing it for 30+ years and have never had one get caught.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts