The Goat Spot Forum banner

Goat in distress labor

3K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
I have a Nigerian dwarf. This is her second kidding. Need help ASAP! She's in labor, only one front leg is out. The kid is HUGE. I'm pretty sure it's dead. We can't find the other leg or head. She has quit pushing. Called several vets, no one is available. Ideas?

#3 ·
Shoot I was hoping for something else. I've called all the vets around that handle goats. They're all on emergency calls. We've tried pushing the baby back in but it won't budge. All the vets said the baby is probably too big, maybe that's why we can't find the head or other leg.

I had to stop, I just had surgery a few days ago so I can't exert much myself right now. My husband is trying his best.

I have a feeling we're going to lose a mama tonight.

#6 ·
Maybe a fellow goat farmer? Do you have any veterinary schools around there? If you do you could check with them. I'd hate for you to lose her. I had one that I couldn't pull and my vet barely managed with her small hands. I don't know if I would have done a csection or not, but luckily I didn't have to decide. In my case the kid's head had bent around and was facing back although his body was still facing forward. She had to pull the head straight and then pull on the legs. The head kept flipping back, but she finally got it by holding her hand on top of the kid's head. One thing to keep in mind is that if you are too rough you can rupture her uterus. Good luck!

#7 ·
I do have a friend that has been giving suggestions and trying to call for help too. I do have fairly small hands and I think the head has to be the way you described. I think my friend is going to try to see if she can help after work.

As far as vet schools, there's none around. I wouldn't even know where the closest one would be. Our career center is getting a vet program but not yet.

#9 ·
I am sorry to hear you are having troubles.

Try propping your doe's rear end up so that her hind end is higher than her front. This might help take some pressure off the kid so that you can push it back far enough to find the head and pull it around.

I also noticed that your profile says Ohio. How far are you from OSU? I believe they have a Vet school that you may be able to take her to.

#15 ·
Oh my goodness. I am so sorry you are going through this! (((((Hugs))))) SO glad Mama made it, though. She may be pretty sore after all that tugging. A shot of banamine will help her. My girl also swelled right up in the girlie parts after a rough delivery. I used Preparation H on the swollen tissues. It took my girl a full 8 weeks to completely heal up. So baby her!

#24 ·
Glad the mom made it. Hopefully she pulls through it OK. Mine got too big this year when she went a week overdue. It likely would have been OK, but I started increasing her concentrate a couple of weeks before she was due. I was trying to avoid a fast grain transition like I had trouble with the year before. This year I don't think I will go over 4 cups of concentrate a day and do that only a week before she is due.

#29 ·
Tie her head up semi snug to a post and one back leg, the side you will be working from, just so she cannot kick your hand and the bucket.
Wash her udder with iodine/water solution and dry her well before and after milking.

I am sorry to say, you will have to milk her and keep an eye on her udder, so she doesn't get mastitis.

#30 ·
Tie her head up semi snug to a post and one back leg, the side you will be working from, just so she cannot kick your hand and the bucket.
Wash her udder with iodine/water solution and dry her well before and after milking.

I am sorry to say, you will have to milk her and keep an eye on her udder, so she doesn't get mastitis.
I'm not even going to bother with a bucket. This little goat is so fiesty if you touch her udders. Both back legs come off the ground. Plus with my surgery I can't get her on the stand. I'll just attempt to milk into the floor. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.