The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am new to raising Nigerian Dwarf Goats. I just bought two does that needed a round of antibiotics (biomycin). I intend to show these goats so want to avoid creating any lumps when doing these injections. I had been instructed to do the shots in the backside of the thigh and IM because SQ can leave lumps. I have been doing that and today one of my does is limping (today will be day 4). Is there a better place to give injections? Has anyone seen this before and the limping resolved? I am worried that I ruined my beautiful doe.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I have but with cattle. One I have no clue what went wrong but would drag his leg for a full day. The only time I have ever had lumps was with sq shots never Im. That's just me but maybe others can share on what type of shots they got lumps with. Also I'm 99% sure all my lumps have been from the CDT shots.
I give shots kinda in the arm pit area. It just doesn't seem to hurt as much there and is awesome for giving kids shots so you can hold their head between your legs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I have to give another shot this evening and I have been dreading it all day. I certainly don't want to hurt my goaties. I have been watching videos on it. Any tips for the armpit area?

Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
I have not had lumps from SQ shots with Biomycin. I give SQ shots in the neck where it meets into the body. There is a lot of skin you can pull up there.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I always give IM shots in the neck. There is a tendon that runs down the center of the leg on the side, if you hit this it can cause them to limp for a while, it can be permanent but most of the time it is just temporary.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
You are most likely giving it in the wrong place on the leg. Never do it on the side of the leg. There is a nerve that runs down the side and if you hit it or get to close to it, you can cripple the goat for life. Now if its not damaged you can expect to see her limp for upwards of 2 weeks. here is a pic on where you give IM in the leg.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
I like the kneck meets the body place for sub Q ..it seem to bother the goats a whole lot less., learned this little trick right here on Goat spot!!..Here is Rosie letting me show how...shes a good girl :D

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much guys! I will try to make sure I get it in the right place tomorrow! The pictures were super helpful too! I love my goaties and don't want to hurt them!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks so much guys! I will try to make sure I get it in the right place tomorrow! The pictures were super helpful too! I love my goaties and don't want to hurt them!
Not sure how similar the anatomy is from Pygmy goats to ND, but our goat vet told me to give thiamine IM to one of our Pygmies, high on the back of the leg muscle, at a line horizontal from the bottom of the vulva. It seemed very high to me and I gave it a little lower. Saw the vet give a vaccine later, but it was higher than I had given the thiamine. Goat was fine both times. But she did get a lump from the SQ injection on her side. (The vet gave that one also.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone, shots were easier last night. Kids, that spot makes sense too! I know have new tools in my toolbox.

·
2,203 Posts
Another important thing is to make sure you change locations. One day one leg, next day the other. I actually used all four legs on my two week long treatment with Coconut. Be sure to use the proper gauge needle (length important as well!!).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mjs-this might be a stupid question , but what gauges should I get? I had read 18 and 20, with 3/4 tips. Is this correct?

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
Gauge depends on which meds you are using...a thick medication, like Nuflor will need 18 G while B complex can use 20 Gauge. 3/4 inch is perfect for Sub Q shots.

·
2,203 Posts
Gauge depends on which meds you are using...a thick medication, like Nuflor will need 18 G while B complex can use 20 Gauge. 3/4 inch is perfect for Sub Q shots.
Second this. 3/4 18G is a great all around tip.

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
1 inch is ok for IM but the only meds you need to do IM are hormones..All other shots can be done SUb Q...
Sub Q is less painful for the goat...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gotcha. Subq is best for everything for other than hormones and when you need quick reaction. I only do IM because I heard SQ will leave lumps that hurt the animal in the show ring. Is this true?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts