The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
8,487 Posts
How far apart are the holes? Could the goat have gotten under a board with nails sticking through? I would clean the wounds well, apply an anitibiotic ointment and give a tetanus anti-toxin shot.
Watch for swelling-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How far apart are the holes? Could the goat have gotten under a board with nails sticking through? I would clean the wounds well, apply an anitibiotic ointment and give a tetanus anti-toxin shot.
Watch for swelling-
I thought of that too but walked my pasture and found nothing like that. I shall do that! Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Just putting this out there, but could it be meningeal worm? I don't have experience with that type of parasite, but from what I've read here at TGS, goats with meningeal worm will reach back and bite themselves on the back. Usually they just pull chunks of hair out, but if she got her teeth into the skin, could it look like that? Maybe others with personal experience can chime in on that theory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just putting this out there, but could it be meningeal worm? I don't have experience with that type of parasite, but from what I've read here at TGS, goats with meningeal worm will reach back and bite themselves on the back. Usually they just pull chunks of hair out, but if she got her teeth into the skin, could it look like that? Maybe others with personal experience can chime in on that theory.
I did just look that up. Does kind of look like that. Thank you for putting the idea out there so I can be aware

·
Administrator
85,630 Posts
Good response, I was thinking the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts