Goat is showing dominance towards my son and I

Discussion in 'Pack Goat Training' started by StarckRanch, Sep 18, 2017.

1. StarckRanch

StarckRanch Member

Mar 27, 2017
    We have a 6mo alpine that loves to be petted and really has such a awesome personality but he likes to be a boss and he has budded our little son twice we flipped him over but our son was upset so not sure how well it established dominance. I thought he just saw my son as a little goat as we have two three month old kids he loves to pick on but the other day his hair raised on his back and he stated ducking his head at me which is his signs that he is going to budd ya and it was just me! I was able to flip him but wasn't able to sit on him as he is a big boy and my husband is gone hunting. I'm hoping this is just a phase? I'd really hate to get rid of him know if it is a phase he really is sweet and neat personality just every once in awhile he wants to be a boss more. Any advice? I do also incorporate a spray bottle and that helps too I would just like to trust him though! [​IMG]

Trollmor likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is he intact?

catharina likes this.

3. StarckRanch

StarckRanch Member

Mar 27, 2017
    No he is not.

catharina likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If the spray bottle doesn't work, try a super soaker.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  5. StarckRanch

StarckRanch Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Perfect I'll keep that in mind! Usually the spray bottle works it's just he does it when we don't have it or the one time we aren't paying close attention. I don't let me son around him without close supervision now since he is a toddler and hoping once he gets older he can establish dominance himself!

catharina likes this.
  6. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Six months to two years seems to be the primary time when goats challenge people. Your goat may be testing you because your husband is gone. If your goat thinks your husband is the "herd king," he may be under the impression that there's an opening at the top of the pecking order and he's trying to claim it. He must be made to realize in no uncertain terms that this space is NOT available!

Your son is nowhere near old enough to train a goat to respect him and won't be for many years, so you have to train your goat to respect your son (and kids in general). If you ever watch a herd you'll notice that mama goats don't let other goats hit their kids. Essentially you are the herd queen and the goats must respect your kids. Also be aware that a goat is as big to a small child as a horse is to you, and the goat has horns. We do not allow small kids near our goats unsupervised even though our goats are friendly. Accidents happen and a goat's horns are right at face level for a child. Goats are relatively small and super friendly so it's easy to take them for granted, but a goat with horns should be treated with the same respect afforded a pony.

If you can nip this in the bud now, it should only be a phase. Flipping a goat over can help, but sometimes it's not as effective as other, easier methods. Watch your goat carefully for tiny signs of disrespect such as walking closely in front of you, lightly brushing you with a horn or shoulder as he passes, raising his hackles when he's near you, picking fights with other goats in your presence, or cocking his head in your direction and giving you a "hairy eyeball" when you tell him to move. If you see any of these signs, charge at your goat and yell "NO!". Clapping your hands can help. If he turns to face you or raises his hackles, take him on. Pick up a stick and whack him, grab his ear, or throw pinecones at him if you have to, but make him turn tail and run. If he runs sideways or runs only a short way and then turns to face you he's still trying to pick a fight. Make sure you win that fight and he'll think twice before picking another one.

If your goat ever brushes you with a horn tip (or shoulder) even by accident, give him a kick in the ribs or hindquarters as he passes to let him know he came too close. It doesn't need to be a painful kick, just an authoritative one (much like a dominant goat butting a subordinate one in the hinder for cutting him off). He should tuck tail and scoot away. He must learn to respect your space and go way around when passing, not push you out of his way. Same thing if he ever comes too close to your son. A subordinate goat gives dominant ones a wide berth when passing and never cuts rudely in front.

If you look for minor offenses and lay down the law now, your goat should not get to the point where he escalates to butting. Don't be worried about making him afraid of you. If you are fair and consistent he will understand that you are nice when he is respectful and that you are only "mean" when he asks for it.

Good luck!

7. GaGoats2017

GaGoats2017 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2017
    I had a huge wether that would act like that. I feel like it was just him playing. But it isn't something I would let him do. I had a shocking collar that fixed that issue pretty quick. Lol

8. StarckRanch

StarckRanch Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Thank you this is all very helpful information! It's time to lay down the law!! I do love on him when he is good but yes I do not support his bossy tendencies!

Trollmor and catharina like this.
  9. LibertysBoerGoatRanch

LibertysBoerGoatRanch Active Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I agree with Damfino!

I always laugh when I walk into my goat pen my herd queen and her buddy think twice about being jerks and pick very little fights when I'm in there. I'm definitely not mean because almost all of them coming running up for attention but they are respectful about it.

catharina likes this.
  10. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    How is it going with this guy? Tell us what worked & what didn't!

Trollmor likes this.
  11. StarckRanch

StarckRanch Member

Mar 27, 2017
    We are still working with him. We have flipped him twice now and he still has reared up at me now too. He also showed dominance to one of my husbands friends who went hunting with them while hiking in he turned around and it him and reared up! Never actually budded him or me but taunts you. He was flipped then too. We did speak with Dwite Sharp and he informed us we may have not held him on his back for a long enough time. The couple of times we did it didn’t exceed more than five minutes and Dwite suggested at least 20-30min.

He hasn’t done anything recently but that has been how he works he will be good then out of the blue he acts out so we will see!

12. goat girls

goat girls Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    Flip him and sit on him until he stops struggling and wait 5 more minutes Until he stops and starts struggling again then continue until he lays still for at least 20 mins

13. Boer goat27

Boer goat27 Member

Jun 30, 2017
    hopkinsville ky
    Sorry to be a late comer to your thread but I noticed you mention him acting out and your husband hunting at the same time does your husband use any buck lure that may have transferred to you or your son. I made that mistake before came back from setting out lure and went to feed and all the males act stupid

mariarose and catharina like this.
  14. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    When my buck got too big for his britches I added some vinegar to the spray bottle. I hung a bottle by their gate too, because I tend to forget or lose them. I am far too small to flip him & it was quite a struggle for a while. Good luck to you!

15. JumpingGoat

JumpingGoat Member

Mar 10, 2016
    My buck went through a stage like this a few months ago, at the time he was about a year old. He started to rear up at my mum when she went to see them with food (she wacked him on the head with a bread role once because he reared up and she got scared) , like he was trying to challenge her and also charging at my self and other people. He has always known that i am the boss and been very respectful of that but he started to "challenge" me as well when i told him of. I am 14 years old (at the time i was 13) and im pretty small but after i told him of by saying "NO" A few times and chasing him away he got the idear pretty fast. He is great with little kids now and couldn't hurt a fly

catharina likes this.
  16. StarckRanch

StarckRanch Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Yeah he is 8mo old so still quite young although I’m not accepting or dismissing his behavior due to his age. He is a wether we are raising them for pack goats and I am going to give him more time and training but if it persist I will have to sell him or get rid of him we can’t have a goat we don’t trust as a pack goat. That’s what their job is and they need to be able to do that.

My husband wasn’t using any lure when he was hunting we believe it is more of dominance thing because it’s like he doesn’t want anyone getting in front of him in the pack line but that’s unacceptable humans are always above goats and he needs to learn that. He hasn’t acted this way towards my husband at all, started off with my toddler son, then me, then recently one of my husbands male friends. So we have a plan for the next time he does it to sit on him longer and from there we will see if that works and reevaluate

catharina likes this.
  17. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    when he gets in front of you smack him in the head with a hat and if he buts you flip him right then and there

18. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Don't smack him, he will just take that as a challenge.

Trollmor, mariarose and catharina like this.
  19. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Yes I agree--& at least for me & my goats, if things get physical I will lose! I really urge you to use the spray bottles.

mariarose likes this.
  20. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    I meant on their chest with a soft object