The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pygmy wether goat is sick. He has nasty diarrhea, and can hardly stand up. He has lost his appetite, and won't eat. I have been giving him fresh water, and he does drink. It started two days ago, and I think it has something to do with the cold weather we have been having. Right now, I am keeping him inside, away from the cold.:help:

· Super Moderator
36,681 Posts
what color is the poop? Dark brown to black could be worms..green tint could be dietary....

Give Pepto to help dry him up and sooth his tummy...try elctrolytes to encourage drinking...NO grain...Hay only and green leaves if you have any left ...
Do get his temp....

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

· Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is his temp? What does he normally eat? Do you live in an area where there is whitetail deer? When was the last time you had a fecal done?
I'll take his temp in a couple of seconds! And he usually eats oats/alfalfa hay. We do live in an area where there are whitetail deer, and I got my pygmy three months ago, and don't know if the last owners have ever done that. I did not in the time I have owned him. He was fine with the feed change when I got him, and got used to it over the three months I have had him.

· Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what color is the poop? Dark brown to black could be worms..green tint could be dietary....

Give Pepto to help dry him up and sooth his tummy...try elctrolytes to encourage drinking...NO grain...Hay only and green leaves if you have any left ...
Do get his temp....

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.
Thank you, I'll try that.

· Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He seems to be fine now. The diarrhea has dried up, and his droppings are getting slowy back to normal. I have put him in a shed shielded from the wind and most of the cold, put up a fence for whenever he wants or needs to go outside, and have been supplying him plenty of water, and make sure he has food.

· Super Moderator
36,681 Posts
Glad he is on the mend...the runs is his bodies way of flushing...any time its like pudding or worse,if he is off feed or hay, grinding teeth, any or all of these, CD Antitoxin can keep him safe while his body works it out...Pepto works as a team with C D Antitoxin...

Ifyou dont have c d antitoxin..order some and keep on hand if you can...since our Tractor supply no longer carries it, I order from jeffers, but any livestock supply place should carry it...

· Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He was fine the day before yesterday, I mean, he wasn't really the best, but I thought he was on the road to recovery. Then, yesterday, he was completely lathargic, and he can't even lift up his own head he is so weak. He still has the diarrhea, and I v=can'tmake him eat or drink. I don't know what I did wrong.

· Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I brought him to the vet, and had a fecal test done. He died December 11th, before the test results came back... I dewormed him, but I guess that wasn't enough. He was positive for some kind of lungworm. Which most likely caused the pneumonia like symtoms.

· Super Moderator
36,681 Posts
im very sorry..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.